DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Calf pressure ?

I just sold my WBBB because no matter what I did I had a horrible pain in my calf from the fold of fabric. Not saying any thing bad about War Bonnet Brandon's a great guy and the quality is great, the Black Bird just wasn't for me. My question for all you HH people is does the Hennessy Hammocks do the same thing?

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    A little bit if I don't get the hang just right
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Images
    I've noted that not giving enough sag, or a good 30 deg hang, can cause this. No matter the hammock. If you have the right sag, and obtain an asymmetrical lay, you should fold evenly into the material for that oh so comforting sweet spot rest!

That being said, you may want to borrow a hammock or pick up a less expensive one to work out the learning curve. Grand Trunks Ultralight for $20 is a great hammock, if I may suggest.

For an easy set up flat lay, JRB's Bridge Hammock is a good deal. You surely won't have this problem in a bridge hammock.

Hammock
    WL Snipe,DIY,WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG,OES CF
    Insulation
    Yeti,Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Make sure to check out the switchbacks..I seem to get very minimal tight fabric like your describing.
    http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I had a similiar comfort issue with the blackbird. I wanted love it but it just wasnt for me. But like its said above alot does come into play with amount of sag,length of trees, I guess I just have never had the problem with my hennessy and thats why I stuck with it. but people have had that problem with almost every hammock.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings/Buckles
    I've had that issue intermittently with my BB. Was having great success with getting a good hang with no calf pressure without my UQ. I came to the conclusion that it was only after I hung my UQ that the problem existed. I lengthened my UQ suspension and miraculously, the issue went away. I found the shortened suspension was changing my sag.
    "Workin' on mysteries without any clues" - Bob Seger

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    less tension on RL
    more sag
    slide yourself more towards head end

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinfeet View Post
    Make sure to check out the switchbacks..I seem to get very minimal tight fabric like your describing.
    http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok
    We have two Blackbirds in the family, and an old GrizzBridge, and I just received my Switchback yesterday. I too had some calf/knee issues with my Blackbird, especially being a side sleeper; the raised ridge would bend my legs sideways (sidesleeper) and I'd wake up with sore knees.

That said, when the Blackbird was on, it's ON and super comfortable. But setting up in the dark, or in a storm in a strange location...I didn't always get it bang on.

I read a book in the Switchback for several hours last night, took a short nap, and would have spent the night, but it was a bit too hot for me to be comfortable (and I've not permethrined the new hammock yet).

My quick thoughts: It feels narrower at the head/shoulders than the Blackbird (assuming both are using the tie outs). No shoulder squeeze or anything like that, it just feels closer to my face/smaller. It's noticeably heavier than the Blackbird...I didn't weigh it, but just holding it I'm like **** this is heavy. I can't seem to get an asymmetrical lay on it, I kept finding myself back in dead center...that said, it is clearly a flatter lay than the Blackbird, no matter how poorly I hung it (really loose or really tight). I could produce a small fabric ridge down the middle of the Switchback (whereas the Blackbird it would be on the thirds, right where my legs are as a side sleeper), but this ridge didn't effect me to the extent the Blackbird does. It's really weird honestly, it almost feels like I'm laying on a big rectangle it was so flat! And that's a good thing.

I'm going to give the switchback a few weeks of backyard testing and a couple stealth overnighters locally, but I have to say it's a pretty neat hammock! Not better nor worse than the Blackbird, just a different flavor, and IMHO, a bit easier on the calf/knees if you don't have the ability to setup a perfect lay.

I need to figure out how to hang the bugnet better, and I need a ridgeline organizer to better compensate for all the crap I usually throw on the Blackbird shelf, but so far it's good.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    1st hammock was a bottom entry HH ULB. Back sleeper. For my body size & proportion found the HH to have a very limited sweet spot. Even then had a calf/knee pressure. BB & Traveler 1.1 sl. Once set up with the right structural ridgeline length for my body & if hung properly I experience no pressure issues.
    Noel V.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I just sold my WBBB because no matter what I did I had a horrible pain in my calf from the fold of fabric. Not saying any thing bad about War Bonnet Brandon's a great guy and the quality is great, the Black Bird just wasn't for me. My question for all you HH people is does the Hennessy Hammocks do the same thing?
    I have two HH expeds bottom entrys. Removed the net off one for no bug hanging.
    Never experienced calf pressure in the exped's.
    I'm 5'9" and the exped is a bit short for me. If your 5'9' or taller I'd recommend
    getting one of the HH for taller guys/gals. I think the website listed them for 7'

hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast