Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tarp waterproof?

Hello all

I'm a new owner of a Claytor Jungle hammock, which seems very comfortable indeed.

Just one concern ... I was looking around the 'net, and saw one comment on the Yahoo groups hammock group ... someone saying the tarp that comes with the Jungle was water resistant rather than fully waterproof. Does anyone here have any experience using the stock Jungle tarp under prolonged heavy rain, or any other insight on this?

I must say the hammock does seem excellent in every way, except this one concern. A loaded SPE fits perfectly into the pad compartment, by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    "Just one concern ... I was looking around the 'net, and saw one comment on the Yahoo groups hammock group ... someone saying the tarp that comes with the Jungle was water resistant rather than fully waterproof. Does anyone here have any experience using the stock Jungle tarp under prolonged heavy rain, or any other insight on this?"

It depends on what you mean by prolonged--I have used the standard tarp for over a year now in some severe thunder storms lasting up to 8 hrs., steady hard rain most of the time with severe downpours the rest. I have stayed dry and comfortable under the tarp. I am still amazed at just how effective it is--if you choose you campsite carefully. John

I wonder if you could use a waterproofing spray like Scotchgard to recharge the tarp's waterproofing abilities.....?

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I have really used mine the past couple of weeks with absolutely no problems. My son used it on our hike that ended with the second flood (it was one that survived the looters). I then used it this last weekend at Devil's Den, it rained all night Friday night and Saturday morning with no problems. If it can survive 1" of rain every 10 minutes, I would say that it is pretty good waterproofness.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I had been thinking about stuff along this line for a while now since I have 20yds of 1.2 dwr that I got from wally world... I've had several cheapy tents growing up and some of them didn't even have the dwr they just relied on the typically tight weave of nylon... I think I'm going to take a yard of normal ripstop, and a yard of dwr and blast them with a hose, if I get spray on the other side I think that should be a sufficient answer on both cases
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I believe the Claytor tarps are polyurethane coated; in that case, they should be completely waterproof if you make sure the seams are sealed.

Silicone-impregnated nylon tarps sometimes "mist" in extremely heavy downpours (they're only waterproof to about 3 psi, and a good Ouachita thunderboomer can overwhelm that pronto). This can be alleviated for almost all rainfall by treating about once a year with a spray-on silicone treatment, at the cost of a teeny bit (technical term) of additional weight.

My thanks to all for taking the time and trouble to reply. There's invaluable help on this site!

The tarp sounds good. For carrying, it's now a choice between the extra weight, greater coverage and perhaps tighter pitching of the HH hex tarp I have, which is thunderstorm-proven already, and the Claytor tarp.

Thanks again

Steve

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    I believe the Claytor tarps are polyurethane coated; in that case, they should be completely waterproof if you make sure the seams are sealed.

Silicone-impregnated nylon tarps sometimes "mist" in extremely heavy downpours (they're only waterproof to about 3 psi, and a good Ouachita thunderboomer can overwhelm that pronto). This can be alleviated for almost all rainfall by treating about once a year with a spray-on silicone treatment, at the cost of a teeny bit (technical term) of additional weight.
    What [method] do you use to seal polyurethane? I know more about seam-sealing silnylon than about this (!).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    What [method] do you use to seal polyurethane? I know more about seam-sealing silnylon than about this (!).
    Campmor and others sell the sealant in tubes for urethane, you just spread it on like like you would with silnylon. One brand is seamsure-not sure whats in it. John

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    Campmor and others sell the sealant in tubes for urethane, you just spread it on like like you would with silnylon. One brand is seamsure-not sure whats in it. John

Thanks. I've got some urethane coated material I'm playing with. This will help a lot.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast