Thread: Lawson Hammock

Hammock
    modified lawson
    Suspension
    whoopies

Question Lawson Hammock

I have a Lawson hammock that I used for a week on the AT. I was really comfortable and I really like it. I have not seen any reviews of the Lawson hammock and would like to know if anyone has long term use with one as I am planning a thru hike for 2012. It weighs 4.5 lbs. I'm wondering if it will last for the entire thru. Thanks for your comments and responses.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    My first hammock was a Lawson. My initial reaction was much like yours. I enjoyed my experience so much I even developed a sort of 'loyalty' to it. I later started learning about other hammocks, and lightening my pack load. 4.5lbs is a serious set up weight-wise.
    My current set-up (for use on my 2012 thru) well the hammock weighs 6.7 oz, bugsock 2.2 oz, tarp about 9 oz, a little over 1lb. There's even a thread on an entire UL hammock set-up for under $360 (I think thats right - I'll check and correct if not). It is WAY more comfy, way easier to fall asleep in, way easier to have on my back.

The Lawson brought me into hammock camping, so I'm grateful for it in that way. In the end HYOH, if you stick with the Lawson and hate it on the AT you can always make a HF post in a town on the trail and most likely find someone willing to help you find a quick, cheap alternative.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    2 wows from me. First.. wow that sounds pretty heavy. Second Wow that looks like a great price! I like the way the poles open it right up. I'd love to see one in real life.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Much, much, much better choices out there for a thru IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    modified lawson
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for the experience and advice. 1 pound sounds great. Did your Lawson hold up to long term use? I can see how it may get heavy after awhile.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too had one and it got me hanging. But was it heavy)))))
    Now I have a 14 ounce hammock and the Lawson is in retirement.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    modified lawson
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks for your reply and advice. I'm sold on a UL setup. Can you tell me where to find the complete setup that you described for around $360?

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Its under General Hammock Talk. You can just click this link to get to it. Happy reading. Do lots of reading on this site. There are a lot of options you can go with. I realize every ounce counts but you can choose other options with a little weight penalty if you find them more comfortable and you can still be well under the 4.5 lbs of your current hammock set up. Also check out any group hangs that may be in your area. That is a great way to see other people's set ups and even lay in a few. Most people are willing to let you try their hammock out for a few minutes. Its amazing how quickly you can for an opinion about how you like or dont like someones hammock within seconds of lying down in it. Also lots of great info on diy if you are inclined towards making your own gear.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Yes - I'll second that! I went for the lightest stuff I can find, because I'm not very tall and I'm skinny as a stick I'm very comfy in my set up - but it may not be for everyone!

If the nano and bugnet combo seem to small for you - the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter is a great $40 hammock with built in bugnet. My trail partner will be using one on our thru and loves it. 12 oz and only $40! But there are so many options!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    modified lawson
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'll be checking out the links. Thanks again, I may also try the diy sites as i have rigging experience and time but not so much money. Hope to ya'll out there.

• + New Posts