Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Best bridge fabric? 250+ lbsi

I'm 255lbs. I am constructing a grizz bridge. Grizz mentioned that the bridge puts a lot of force on the fabric sewn to the webbing. He recomended for over 250 that I double layer my ripstop. My question is are there any materials that would be ideal for this application in a single layer forma. Aka is there a 2.8 oz ripstop. I'm looking for the litest fabric that will hold up that isnt uber expensive. Any advice would be good.

Edit: I quickly found this that I missed from diygearsupply. Its 2.8 plain weave would it be suitable?
    http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=51
    Last edited by packeagle; 08-24-2011 at 05:05. Reason: Found something that may work

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Edit: I quickly found this that I missed from diygearsupply. Its 2.8 plain weave would it be suitable?
    http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=51
    That would be the one I'd recommend. It's not ripstop, but that's not necessary. It's a 100x70 denier fabric. Makes a very nice hammock. You could also try looking around at Rockywoods - they have a larger variety of off-standard fabrics that might suit.

- Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    How would you discribe the stretch compared to ripstop?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    How would you discribe the stretch compared to ripstop?
    It's got a little bit less stretch, not something I've measured in any real way though. It's a higher denier than standard ripstops, so that lessons the stretch some.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I was wondering if the different weave would contribute to stretch. Maybe you could weigh in on an ongoing question I have been milling over. In theory what is stronger for equal weight? A single layer or double layer. Were talking hypothetical situation where the sum of fabric weight the double layer would be the same as the single layer.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I was wondering if the different weave would contribute to stretch. Maybe you could weigh in on an ongoing question I have been milling over. In theory what is stronger for equal weight? A single layer or double layer. Were talking hypothetical situation where the sum of fabric weight the double layer would be the same as the single layer.
    You got me on that one. My initial thinking is the single layer should be stronger - it has the stronger yarns made to weave the fabric. But... with two layers, you have one fail safe before full failure - if one layer takes significant wear/stress, there's another to help. But... the doubly strong fabric (single layer) may not even have the wear/stress that layers of the weaker fabric would have.

There are other factors involved too. The yarn count will increase the fabric weight, but also giving it much increased strength. Lower denier's generally have a significantly higher yarn count.

All said and done, I think you're looking at six in one, half a dozen the other.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Comfort from heavier fabric?

I think it is correct to estimate that 95% of inquiries about fabric weight for hammocks come with the premise that the user wants the lightest safe fabric. An exception that proves the rule is writing off ultra light and ultra strong cuben as (among other things) too stiff, absolutely stiff.

I may be another exception. In trying a WBBB, I chose 1.7oz SL. I am well within the suggested weight limit @ 5'7" 165lb, and I had no need for a second layer to hold insulation. So far, I am reminded of other thin and light hammocks, such as a 1.1oz (nominal) GT Nano7, a back-pocket model for me. Sleeping every night in a Clark as I have for many months, I realize I am used to and expect a stiffer hammock bed, such as one gets from double layers or from the heavier single layer of the Clarks.

Questions:
    • 1: Is the fabric of the single Clark something like the 2.8oz nylon DIYGear sells?
    • 2. Does weight of nylon fabric pretty well determine the resilience or stretchiness of the fabric, locally and globally?

• 3. I can't say I recall anyone "coming out " for stiffer than necessary in 10 months of reading or an additional 50 hours of perusing previous posts either. Are there others like me who admit they want the feel of a stiffer hammock bed, even if that means proportionately more weight?

• 4. Do preferences get determined pretty much by first extensive experiences?

1. 5. Anyone else here choose that 2.8oz fabric from DIYGear for comfort, not toughness, durability, or safety margin for their own weight?

Images
    i'd suggest 2 layers of 1.1oz. i feel that the higher the threadcount the better it takes the weight, and by going to a 70d fabric you lose alot of threadcount. double 1.1 would be more than strong enough, and you keep the high threadcount.

stretch isn't much concern with a bridge. on an end gathered you're looking at the amount of stretch in ~10 feet of fabric length, with a bridge the load runs in the other direction, side to side, so you're only dealing with the amount of stretch in 30-35" (4 times less stretch)

• + New Posts