Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

trying to prevent CBS....

Hi folks. So I am leaving Wednesday to do a backpacking trip to Gulf Hagas, Maine. We might stop and visit our friend who is a raft guide for a free white water rafting trip on the Penobscot (including lunch at an area with Mt. Katahdin in the background, great to know people in the business! ), then on to Gulf Hagas...but were not sure yet.

Anyways. Course I got to take my hammock, so this will be my first hammock encounter with cooler temperatures at night. This weeks lowest lows will be in the 49 - 51 range. I would like to know if I am prepared for that.

I have a therm-a-rest Pro Lite 3 (saving for UQ) and a 35 degree bag, more like 40 (after UQ then saving for TQ lol). I feel like I will be all good...but wanted to run it by yas. The whole compressing of the sleeping bag rendering the underside useless and CBS thing is new to me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Deadphans; 08-22-2011 at 23:43.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    About 5 years ago, when I first tried hammocking, I had a thermarest self inflatable pad. I could not keep that thing underneath me in a hammock! This is before HF and I knew much about UQs and all. After a few frustrating nights someone on whiteblaze suggested I put a few strips of silicone on the bottom of my pad, and in the hammock to aid in grip. Worked well enough until I got an UQ!

Don't inflate it fully is another big help. You should be fine in those temps with that set up. Have some good sleep wear that you can peel off if too warm just in case.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Before my underquilt system, I used what I had. I started with the thermarest, but like others, could not keep it in place. Even letting a lot of air out was not working for me. I went to Wallyworld (Wal-mart) and got the cheep blue pad (Mad cheep) and that worked much better. This was paired with a 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag. I worked that for 4 years.

However, would not take that in temps below 40. Then I got involved with winter backpacking and bought a 0 degree synthetic. This with the thermarest and wallyworld pad worked for lean-tos to 9 degrees. Finally got a 3 season underquilt. That meant I could leave the wallyworld pad behind for 3 season hanging. I went to the NJ winter hang with the underquilt, a JRB weather shield, the wallyworld pad and the 0 degree bag...success!!!! The nights temps were 11 and I was comfy. Your mileage may vary.....
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    hmmm well it depends, are you bringing a tarp? because have good site selection plus having the tarp to block wind can keep alot of heat on ya. Id say if your going with what your going then you could sleep fine if you slept in thermals or something warm. but like it was said before it wouldnt hurt to have the walmart blue ccf pad just in case. its alot easier to mess with in the hammock.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts