Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images

ultralight vs nano7

Aside from the obvious difference in size. To those who have tried both grand trunk ultralight and nano7, is there any noticeable difference in comfort? I assume fabric and the amount of stretch may play a roll. Is one easier to get a better lay than the other?

I have 2 ultralights and have used one for a lounge hammock in my backyard but have yet to sleep in it. I find it mildly comfortable and would assume due to its larger size, it must be more comfortable than the nano7. But then the price pays a roll to my curiosity, I assume the nano7 isn't $60 more only based off of superior fabric, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm wondering if it may actually be more comfortable despite its smaller size. If it helps, I weigh 185lbs and am 5'8".

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have both. The ultralight is my workhorse hammock. I love it. The nano has a bit of a stretch and I've taken it when weight and bulk mean a bit more than comfort. Don't get me wrong, the nano beats the ground, but it is smaller. I'd recommend it if you're a gram weenie.

Images
    At 6'2", 200 lbs, I've been curious about the nano 7 myself, but think I'm a bit on the large size for this hammock. The ultralight has slept me very well in the past.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The descriptions and specifications of the Nano 7 have changed at Grand Trunk. They no longer match what I have.

Someone there is checking on whether the hammock has actually changed, or if there have simply been serious errors in describing what you will get when you open the package of new ones. There's a thread here on that.

That the Nano 7 has changed is plausible, as there was a period when it was discounted substantially, as though to clear out old stock. But, why attribute to planning what can be explained as well be error?

I have had both the UL and Nano (I gave the UL away to a needing HF member), but I can say that there is a noticeable difference between the two (as others have already noted)! The Nano (I guess "older" version) is made of a different fabric than the UL, so not only the feel of it is different but also the stretch! Now at your weight that shouldn't be an issue, I am 5'9" 186# and I found that in the Nano I wasn't able to get the same amount of diagonal lay as I was able to with the UL, and at times throughout the night I found my feet either at the edge or hanging over when I shifted my body, now this didn't happen all the time, but, it happened enough that it became annoying!
    I started to look for better option's, and well I found one, the great GLP was gracious enough to make me a hammock as I have "0" sewing skills (or thread injecting, or whatever, you get it) and the design that he came up with is a hammock that is the same length as the Nano, but wider than the Nano and UL (not much wider than the UL)! This custom made all the difference, the weight is more than the Nano as he made it from 1.5oz Ripstop, but lighter than the UL! Now the comfort is "AMAZING", the length is spot on, and the width is what make's this thing so great as I can get a excellent diagonal lay, and my feet are not even close to the edge!

So with all this said, if you have the ability/access to a sewing machine I would order the fabric and make one yourself as you can fine tune it to your needs and sleep style, length-width-end whipping- added triangles where your feet will be-etc.....!

Not sure if this helps you at all?

I have my Nano (somewhere in this mess of a house) if you are looking for one, send me a PM and we will see if we can work something out, no guarantee's as my better half will most likely say "I thought it was mine"? (said with puppy dog eye's)! But either way if you have any question's let me know!?!?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thank you all for your help, this helps clear some things up that I was uncertain of. Though I can't see myself switching from the blackbird/traveler anytime soon, its good to know the nano hype is on weight and weight alone. Also that a $15 ultralight is just as comfortable, if not more than the nano.

I still want to try the nano at some point. Its very possible I'd be comfortable in it, its just hard to justify without laying in it first when I have a big comfy traveler that weighs 10.5oz and ultralights.

Cranky bear, I appreciate the offer and am tempted to take it, but I'm sure ill come accross one at some point. Stormcrow said I could give his a lay, but who knows when ill see him next. If I haven't tried it by fall mahha would you be down to bring it if you end up coming? I'm still not sure if I can make it yet though. I too have been thinking of a 9' x 5' hammock, as I feel width is much more important. I may order some 1.1 soon and make one up. GLP is the man! He's helped me out a lot with gear, and like I've said before, I trust his stuff like I trust the vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Thank you all for your help, this helps clear some things up that I was uncertain of. Though I can't see myself switching from the blackbird/traveler anytime soon, its good to know the nano hype is on weight and weight alone. Also that a $15 ultralight is just as comfortable, if not more than the nano.

I still want to try the nano at some point. Its very possible I'd be comfortable in it, its just hard to justify without laying in it first when I have a big comfy traveler that weighs 10.5oz and ultralights.

Cranky bear, I appreciate the offer and am tempted to take it, but I'm sure ill come accross one at some point. Stormcrow said I could give his a lay, but who knows when ill see him next. If I haven't tried it by fall mahha would you be down to bring it if you end up coming? I'm still not sure if I can make it yet though. I too have been thinking of a 9' x 5' hammock, as I feel width is much more important. I may order some 1.1 soon and make one up. GLP is the man! He's helped me out a lot with gear, and like I've said before, I trust his stuff like I trust the vendors.
    Yea for me it was the weight that drew me towards it, but I have found with the extra width the comfort has risen exponentially and turned a "Ok" hammock, into a great hammock which really helped me on the trail with a better night's sleep! Don't get me wrong I slept fine in the Nano, I just move and turn in my sleep so my feet had a tendency to hang off the edge during the night!
    Yea I am planning on attending the Fall Mahha and for sure I will bring it for ya to check out! Always willing to bring gear and talk about gear and look at gear and lust over gear and and and, haha!
    Yep GLP is the man!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

My experiance with the nano

While I don't have an ultralight yet (have one on order) I cannot speak to the direct comparison. I have had a Nano for some time now and can talk about it relative to the other hammocks I own (WBBB, SBLH, HH's).

I am short and stocky, 5'5" 180 (before dinner). When I first got the nano I was amazed at the weight and honestly a little afraid that I would rip it apart soon after I stated using it. At first I could not get comfortable in. My feet would some times fall out, the fabric stretch would sometimes make me sink down in to a ball at the bottom of the hammock if I didn't get the hang right.

I just got back from a week trip where I used the Nano exclusively and was very happy with it. Sure it had some trade offs regarding comfort vs the full sized hammocks I own but I learned to adjust my hang and got my body used to it's size. I found it really comfortable. I would not hesitate to take it again for trips about a week in length or where pack weight is an issue.

Just like I have different size/weight packs that I choose depending on what I am doing, I feel that the Nano certainly has a place in my hammock quiver. Sometimes light and fast is the order and the nano goes in the pack. Some times I bring it on a day hike just so I have something to rest in just in case.

Recently I began to think of other uses. I am buying another nano because I want to have a spare hammock with me. I know it sounds weird but when I go out for a week or more into the backcountry with my family, I want to have some redundany in case one of the hammocks fails and going to the ground would make the trip not so fun. The nano is like 4.4 oz. unrigged, so it's pretty light weight insurance.

I have new respect for the Nano, I am really glad that it is an available option for me. While I feel that it does need extra care because it is made of light wieght materials, I no longer feel that I am trading off much in the way of comfort.

~S~

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Thanks for the insights here. I am looking at getting a GTUL for a starter because of price. I'll probably end up DIYing some hammocks after that. But it's good to hear positive words for the ultralight before I purchase one.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    The GTUL is so inexpensive on sale that I don't think you could buy the fabric at normal prices. It is a very breathable polyester fabric and quite comfortable. I replaced the suspension with 6 foot whoopie slings and a Dynaglide ridge line for a total of 10.2oz.

I originally used it with large Wild Country Nitro carabiners through the channels and that worked fine, but using the Amsteel directly cuts cost and weight and I have had zero problems. I did run the lark's head through the channel twice just to make sure. From there I use Camp Nano carabiners and Arrowhead tree straps. Toggles will work fine and reduce the weight and cost, but I do like my 'biners I have the whoopie sling style ridge line set at 89" and I'm 5'10 and 220#. I highly recommend using the adjustable ridge line. I do like the sag looser without a pad and flatter with a pad in place-- it seems to eliminate buckling. A couple 6" deep wing pads can help fill in from shoulders to hips.

It is a great starter hammock and I think it is perfect for day hikes and summer lounging. I do think the fabric is too breathable for good cold weather use-- you can really feel a breeze through it. It is soft and comfortable on the skin. Do make sure your pockets are free of keys and anything like a pocket knife with a clip.

I tried it with several pads and found the Walmart style wide pad worked the best. It takes a little practice but once you find the right spot, you can drop in on the pad without a major wrestling match.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast