Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    Had a lot of deer come into our campsite at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. And there were lots of skunks. BIG SKUNKS. When we got settled for the night, I'm just starting to doze when I feel something under me, rubbing against the bottom of the hammock. It was a skunk alright. It was Zak tricking me!
    I grew up about 15 minutes from LBL, and that's where I have done most of my camping. I've never hammocked there, though. All of my hammocking has been test runs on the back porch, so far (hopefully that will be changing this weekend!)
    My fiance and I had kayaked out to an island in Kentucky Lake (one of the lakes bordering Land Between the Lakes) to camp one night and heard something walk around our tent. We also heard it run into our overturned kayak! -thump-
    In the morning some of our gear had been moved, apparently it smelled like food... Nothing was missing, though, and there was no food to be had, so we didn't feed anyone. We assume it was a raccoon.

Night visitors

I was hiking for a few days in the Flat-Tops Wilderness Area in NW Colorado in 96. We were in elk country. I was awakened in the night by the sound of distant thundering that quickly drew nearer. I knew I was hearing the sound of an elk herd approaching but I could only stay in my tent and hope one of these hugh animals didn't run over me. The herd ran through our camp and beyond in seconds, and faded away just as they appeared. The next morning we found elk tracks all around my tent but not a guy-line was touched. The tent survived til the following year; a bear inflicted enough damage that I decided to retire this old shelter. And no, I wasnt' in the tent when the bear came visiting.

jed

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    When I first got my HH, I took it to the family farm to try out (practice at home.. yada yada)

On night 1, I did hear several critters roaming about, but considering I was right next to a creek, I expected it.

On night 2, 'something' went under me.. I have no idea what it was, but its tail definately brushed my back side! I laid there eyes like saucers, barely breathing and afraid to move for fear that it was a skunk and I would 'startle' it!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Ps Hi Jed!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jedbear View Post

I was hiking for a few days in the Flat-Tops Wilderness Area in NW Colorado in 96. We were in elk country. I was awakened in the night by the sound of distant thundering that quickly drew nearer. I knew I was hearing the sound of an elk herd approaching but I could only stay in my tent and hope one of these hugh animals didn't run over me. The herd ran through our camp and beyond in seconds, and faded away just as they appeared. The next morning we found elk tracks all around my tent but not a guy-line was touched. The tent survived til the following year; a bear inflicted enough damage that I decided to retire this old shelter. And no, I wasnt' in the tent when the bear came visiting.

jed
    that's a pretty impressive story, i can't believe they didn't hit the guylines. did you stick your head out when you heard them running by???

By the time I realized what was coming my way, it was over. And, I wanted to keep my head attached to the rest of my body! I plan to spend a quiet, night in my Clark NA this weekend in Conecuh National Forest. Nothing but some little doggies, possums, and amoured rats to wander under my hanging.

jed

My wife had a flying squirrel land on her Hennessey hammock in Georgia a few years ago. She backhanded that sucker. He's probably still telling the story to his squirrel buddies.

We had a very large animal snuffing around under our hammocks in Virginia one night. Had to be a bear, but I never saw it.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    bigcranky, welcome!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Thanks, Peanuts. I've been lurking for a while, and didn't realize I'd never posted. Hmm.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    My first night at Justis Creek GA on my aborted thru in 07, a mouse or squrail or chipmunk ran up my dad's pullout lines of his HH up over his hammock and down the other side. Not as exciting as being supported on a bear's back, but thats all I've got.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast