Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Netting really necassary?

I am sure it is necassary in some areas of the country. One thing I noticed though is that the mosquitos here in Georgia really only come out at dusk and feed crazily during that time, while during the night there are a few strays that feed here and there.

Usually at dusk I have a good fire going or am still hiking. How many of you find that you use bug nets all the time?? I also know that some people have something in there blood that is like a T-Bone steak to mosquitos. If my family goes outside, then my mother will be the only one to get ravaged by mosquitos and they will just leave us alone, she is the mosquito magnet. Luckily I am not one of those people.
    Last edited by Incacamper; 04-02-2008 at 13:55.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yea, I'm beginning to wonder that myself. Mostly cause I'm having 'issues" with my zipper. But as you say, they mostly feed at dusk, then are (mostly) quiet.
    But, during that "feeding time" it is nice to be able to escape from them.
    Then again, shelters as on the AT are netting free, & I have rarely been bothered by them that much.

What to do, what to do?
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I use mine every time. I am one of those people that mosquitos love and one misquito at night can make me look like I have chicken pox by morning. That is the main reason I bought a hammock with an integrated bug net (claytor) b/c if there was one mosquito out at night, he would find me and have a feast.

Images
    It depends on where you are at and the time of year... Georgia has beaches, swamps, mountains, islands, and stuff in between. And it is not just mosquitoes, during the day you may want to get away from nats or other flying insects that are out during the day. If you have some other way to survive, like a headnet and getting under a quilt/sleeping bag or plenty of repellent, you have one situation. If you are going to get eaten alive if you guess wrong and don't have netting, that is another situation.

I rarely need or use netting in the north Georgia mountains but need it about 6 months out of the year in my backyard. In my backyard they are out even during the day.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm another one of those people that 'skeeters gravitate toward. Netting is a requirement in the the months that have active bugs.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Yup, I should have clarified a bit more youngblood, as Georgia does have virtually all climates except an arid desert. Anyhow I am in northern central georgia, dallas to be exact , and the bugs really aren't that bad until dusk. At night they are usually never out, I guess since the bats pick them off??. During the day you can get bit and they are out, but not like at dusk. In the mountains I have never been bothered by mosquitos. One time at Fort mountain though, there were so many knats that it was unbearable, as all were trying to commit suicide in your eyeballs. Whats up with that??

Images
    Someone told me once that they are attracted to the air you exhale. They can be aggravating, I sometimes carry a headnet to use when I am resting. They are too hot and hard to breath through when I am hiking. When I am backpacking I keep a bandanna on my pack straps and can easily pull it free and use as a whip to keep them at bay for awhile so I don't lose my sanity over them. I use that for those horse flies that want to make a meal out of my calf as well. You learn to do what you have to.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    I've been to North Ontario/ Quebec during their blackfly season. It was more annoying and gross than any mosquito-filled place I've ever been. Ever since, I always keep my bugnet zipped up, just in case. Bugs of all kinds bother me far more than they used to because of that one horrible experience. And now, I'm going to Suriname this summer. What the hell was I thinking?

Hammock
    Clark NA & Hennessy UL Backpacker
    Insulation
    JRB Old Rag Mtn
    Images
    Yep, all depends on where you camp. Never been bit in the Smokies for example.

But my first time in a jungle hammock was one summer back in the early 90’s on a sea island camping trip in Charleston, SC. That experience sold me on bug-netted hammocks. A friend brought a couple Vietnam era GI jungle hammocks & loaned one to me. Another friend brought his Walmart double camping hammock, made of net. Everyone else stayed in one of those screened dining canopies. The mosquitoes were SO BAD, the only reason we didn’t abort the trip that night was our boat was stranded on the island due to low tide. I remember someone’s dog walking around & with every step he took, mosquitoes would puff out of the pine straw around his paws. When we finally went to bed, my friend & I got in our jungle hammocks & I remember being bothered at first by the whining of the mosquitoes right outside the netting. They sounded so close. After a few minutes though, I had to smile to myself, having realized they could only window shop. I slept great that night, only to be awoken twice: once to hear my friend with the net hammock scream on the verge of crying, “!@#$%^ these mosquitoes!!” right before he stomped off to the screened dining shelter, which incidentally didn’t have a floor. Remember the dog walking around & mosquitoes puffing out of the ground? Well, they came out of the ground in there too. Which brings me to the second time I was awoken: pots banging, since everybody else just got up again & fixed breakfast, at something like 3 or 4 AM. Nobody slept that night but the two of us in the jungle hammocks….

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm lucky and not overly bothered by the little suckers. However I'm not complete imune and their buzzing can get real annoying.

In my neck of the woods (Missouri) they tend to get active about 2 hours before sundown and continue for 2-3 hours afterward. A smaller swarm will start again in the morning just about sun-up for about 2 hours.

Often though I'll find a high bluff or hill with a little breeze and then have very little problem with mosquitos.

Bottom line: around here you need to have some protection available even though you won't need it all of the time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast