Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deciding on Hammock

I am sure this question comes out quite a lot, but I am in need of some help selecting a hammock.

To describe my situation to help you better understand my needs. I have never owned a hammock. I am 6 feet and weigh about 160lbs. I have spent a significant amount of time browsing through these forums and on various websites (Hennessy, ENO, Trek Light) but finally decided to ask for help specifically to me. I am in the military and I was pointed to Hennessey for that reason, but I can't make out which system would be better for me. When not using the hammock in the field or deployed, I enjoy backpacking and kayaking. So I am not sure weight is a huge factor. Obviously I don't want to carry anything that is going to weigh me down too much, but I am not doing treks for thousands of miles either nor am I racing. I would say the weather is normally nice, but if inclement weather presents itself it is in the form of rain, but not normally anything to blow you away. I live in TN so typical rain and maybe light snow in the winter.

Thanks for all the help.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Welcome to the forums. There can be a lot of information. There are many good choices, depending on need and budget. I'm sure others can chime in on recommendations, but I will just throw my 2 cents on features I would look for if I were you.

1. Integrated bug net. I know you can buy them separately, but they can be pricy and there seems to be a bit of a hassle if you are new to hammocking.

2. Side zipper entry. My first hammock has a bottom "birth canal" style entry and I find the side zipper way more comfortable.

3. Easy set up. Look for threads on this forum. Most people seem to like adjustable straps or whoopie slings on toggles.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend Shug's youtube videos on hammocking for beginners. They are funny and you will learn a lot.

Hi, Joshtbuff-

I only use Hennessys. Started with them, stayed for over 10 years, got to the point that I help Tom at Trail Days.

That said, look at not just weight, but bulk of your hammock for packing purposes. You maight be able to handle more weight in a kayak, but I would expect space to be limited. Your height puts you right at the edge between the standard (Expedition/BackpackerAsym/Hyperlight) and long (Explorer/various XL) lengths. Your weight makes me think you are long and lean, so the smaller hammock might work well for you. The need for extra space in the hammock comes down to personal preferences, including how much gear you want to keep inside your hammock at night.

Going up a size will cost a bit more money and will add not just weight but bulk to your pack/kayak. You might want to try a couple of hammocks before buying, but I'm guessing that a Backpacker Asym might be your best all around value. If you have the $$, I'd say Hyperlight.

Classic bottom entry VS sided zipper is another personal choice and circumstance thing. I like the side for cold weather, when it is easier to get in on top of insulation or pads. For summer, I like the simplicity and quick escape from insects of the bottom entry. I can make either work for me.

Summing it up: Consider weight, bulk, comfort, fit, most frequent use conditions, and your wallet. If possible, try before you buy. Maybe get to a hang and see several set-ups.

Cheers!
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Images
    Welcome to the forum.

I live near Ashland City and own an explorer ultralight. If you want to try it out some time I will see if I can find a park with a couple of good trees. I will be out of town this weekend for labor day, but I should be able to meet up the following weekend. I also have the super shelter, and an under quilt thanks to Arrowhead Equipment's 2nd Aniv. Sale,that you could see on the hammock.

If you are interested feel free to PM me any time to try to set this up.

Ragnall

What is the difference between the backpacker and the hyperlite?

Obviously I'm looking at the specs but don't know the difference between 30D and 70D. And the couple extra ounces. Is that the only difference? And what does 70D vs 30D even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post
    Hi, Joshtbuff-

I only use Hennessys. Started with them, stayed for over 10 years, got to the point that I help Tom at Trail Days.

That said, look at not just weight, but bulk of your hammock for packing purposes. You maight be able to handle more weight in a kayak, but I would expect space to be limited. Your height puts you right at the edge between the standard (Expedition/BackpackerAsym/Hyperlight) and long (Explorer/various XL) lengths. Your weight makes me think you are long and lean, so the smaller hammock might work well for you. The need for extra space in the hammock comes down to personal preferences, including how much gear you want to keep inside your hammock at night.

Going up a size will cost a bit more money and will add not just weight but bulk to your pack/kayak. You might want to try a couple of hammocks before buying, but I'm guessing that a Backpacker Asym might be your best all around value. If you have the $$, I'd say Hyperlight.

Classic bottom entry VS sided zipper is another personal choice and circumstance thing. I like the side for cold weather, when it is easier to get in on top of insulation or pads. For summer, I like the simplicity and quick escape from insects of the bottom entry. I can make either work for me.

Summing it up: Consider weight, bulk, comfort, fit, most frequent use conditions, and your wallet. If possible, try before you buy. Maybe get to a hang and see several set-ups.

Cheers!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtbuff View Post
    What is the difference between the backpacker and the hyperlite?

Obviously I'm looking at the specs but don't know the difference between 30D and 70D. And the couple extra ounces. Is that the only difference? And what does 70D vs 30D even mean?
    the 70d and 30d are the nylon they use. the real difference is in the lighter weight ropes and lighter weight fabric. the hyper and UL backpacker are the same dimensions. but in my opinion id say go for the longer models. like the explorer ultralight, im 5'11 and I find my expedition to be a little tight sometimes, I can still sleep good in it but id be better off with a longer model.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Yeah. I was looking hard at the explorer ultralight. I'm right at 6' but don't want to be crammed. but for that kind of cost, I can get a WBBB. And have some money left over. I don't want to skimp on equipment, but I don't want to waste money on my first hammock either.

Decisions and compromise.

What's the difference Betweeen the nylons?

Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    the 70d and 30d are the nylon they use. the real difference is in the lighter weight ropes and lighter weight fabric. the hyper and UL backpacker are the same dimensions. but in my opinion id say go for the longer models. like the explorer ultralight, im 5'11 and I find my expedition to be a little tight sometimes, I can still sleep good in it but id be better off with a longer model.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtbuff View Post
    Yeah. I was looking hard at the explorer ultralight. I'm right at 6' but don't want to be crammed. but for that kind of cost, I can get a WBBB. And have some money left over. I don't want to skimp on equipment, but I don't want to waste money on my first hammock either.

Decisions and compromise.

What's the difference Betweeen the nylons?
    one thing you got to realize also is your getting a tarp included in the hennessy price. if you choose to remove the tarp you can save money. and I mean the real difference is the weight of it. I mean alot of nylons feel different.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Simply, 70d is thicker and heavier than 30d. d stands for Denier. If you want the geeky details here you go

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    One tip I would like to give is to get a different tarp than the standard. The asym tarps included with Hennessey hammocks are ok at best. In driving sideways rain, expect to get wet. Some models let you pick a hex tarp for no extra charge. Some you have to pay the difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast