Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images

Red face One week in Yosemite!

Hey all, I haven't been here on the forums in quite a few months, but I thought I'd let you know that I'm a few days away from a week long backpacking trip through the Yosemite Wilderness. My 50 year old father and my Step-Brother will be driving from Idaho to pick my Brother and I up along the way to Yosemite. We will be doing a loop of the whole wilderness - starting at White Wolf Campground and heading North to Pate Valley, through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River. We have to stay near the junction with the Tuolumne River the first night because of the permit, but the next day we hike 14 miles along the river, and the waterfalls to Glen Aulin Backpackers Camp. The next day we turn south and hike down to Tenya Lake, and cross Highway 120. Then we hike further South to Clouds Rest, which is supposed to be the best spot in the whole wilderness since it's just North of Half Dome and overlooks all of Little Yosemite Valley. From there we will be hiking down the famous Mist Trail next to Nevada and Vernal Falls, and into Little Yosemite Valley to spend the day, before we hike up and out via the Yosemite Falls Trail - Very steep! Then it's another day of hiking back to White Wolf Campground.

To answer the obvious question first, Yes I will be hammock camping the whole time - using my WBBB. I'm taking my GoPro so we should have some video for you guys sometime also! I originally planned to solo this hike but my Dad eagerly joined in, then my Brother, then my Step-Brother, so this has grown into an expedition of sorts now. I wish I could write more, but I have to go to work, so wish me luck and I'll get back to you if you want more details or have any questions.

RJ
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I can't wait for the trip report...planning my Yosemite trip next year as well. Good luck!

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Good to hear from you again G
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    That's one of my top 10 hikes on the "list"!
    Have fun & be careful. Looking forward to the video.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    definitely looking forward to the trip report... take lot's of picks and video
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Have a great trip and enjoy the time with your family & friends! I was really lucky to get to Yosemite 5 times this year and although the permit system is a burden, the scenery is incredible. I am looking forward to your trip report.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that we will be covering 70+ miles on this hike. I definitely will be taking lots of pictures. This is sorta a backcountry photography week, at least for my dad and I - we're both photogs. I'll be taking my Canon T3i and a telephoto lense (for the wildlife) along with my filters and five batteries for both my Canon, and Gopro. I'll also be lugging a full size "travel" (2 pound) tripod. I just can't bring myself to bring my nice tripod, but I know I will regret it when the-perfect-shot-that-requires-a-super-stable-tripod occures. My Father is bringing his T1i along with a telephoto and macro lense. I'll get to use his macro so I wont have to carry one!

The permit application wasn't any trouble at all since we are leaving from an obscure trailhead, but the b&($h is making sure a weeks worth of food fits in a finite bear canister. It has been a pain in the @$$ to constantly tweak every last detail with this bear canister! Also, Half Dome now requires a special permit for every person that wants to climb it, and since we don't want to rush our trip, we did not apply for it. We will simply hike right on by the trail up and curse our misfortune. It wont last long though since we will be hiking DOWN the mist trail, and will end the day at the top of Yosemite Falls. I'm so excited Saturday couldn't get here quickly enough!
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Images
    WOW!!! That sounds like an amazing trip. We hope to make it next Spring to Yosemite, so I am anxious to hear all about it. Be safe and you just cant take too many photos.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~John Muir

• + New Posts