Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

KAQ for speer hammock

About a year ago, I bought some 1.1 silnylon and Climashield insulation from thru-hiker to make into a traditional quilt. Well, for some reason, I never got it to the lady that was going to make it for me, and it has been sitting in the box in the closet for that whole time!

Fast forward to now, and I have my own restored sewing machine, I have made two hammocks and (just finished yesterday!) a (*slightly mutated*) clone of the Mountain Laurel Designs hammock tarp.

I have made a speer type hammock by following Jeff's directions, and I would like to make an underquilt for it. I have the Kick *** Quilts directions ( http://www.kickassquilts.com/MakeTOC.html ) but they are for a-sym.

Can I just flip the pattern to make it more of a coffin shape instead of the shape they use?

Pattern:

http://www.kickassquilts.com/images/makefull/plan.jpg

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That's certainly feasible.

You could make it even easier, though. Just make a rectangular quilt, with corner tabs and drawstrings on the ends. That would allow you to attach and adjust it in the same way that the JRB quilts are done.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I second angrysparrow's suggestion. The rectangular quilt can be used both as a top quilt and an underquilt (add some omnitape for a foot box if you like). Not sure if a coffin shaped quilt would work well as a top quilt.

Images
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I had been planning on using this only as an underquilt, but I am far from decided on the design...I am leaning towards the coffin shape to save weight. Also thinking about doing a 3/4 quilt, and using my sit pad as a pack liner and foot pad inside the hammock. The coffin dimensions could be of the "big and tall" variety to ensure that I have enough coverage where I need it, whilst cutting out places that I am not using anyway.

In the directions it said the triangular cuts along the side were to help the quilt form to the hammock. Is this an issue for rectangular underquilts?

And, if I do go with a large coffin shape, do you all forsee any issues I will have regarding keeping the quilt snug against the hammock?

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Silnylon is not a good material for a quilt because it is not breathable. It will not compress in you bag because any trapped air inside will not be able to escape. Yes, it will be waterproof, but will also be very clammy. I would recommend 1.1oz DWR ripstop, or some other breathable fabric.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Silnylon is not a good material for a quilt because it is not breathable. It will not compress in you bag because any trapped air inside will not be able to escape. Yes, it will be waterproof, but will also be very clammy. I would recommend 1.1oz DWR ripstop, or some other breathable fabric.

Dwight
    Would it be advisable to put silnylon on the outside (bottom) and DWR ripstop on the inside part next to the hammock?
    That is what I was planning with some leftover primloft from a Thru-Hiker pullover kit.
    Any opinions?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    You could, but if any moisture got in, it wouldn't go out that side. You could just be setting yourelf up for a puddled mess. If it is going to be a top quilt the moisture from your body will be trapped inside your quilt, and you will either have to let it dry and air out very well, or carry the extra weight (which will add up). An under quilt might be better as far as human moisture, but I would just stick with DWR, especially if you are using synthetic insulation. If it gets wet, it dries quickly, and still retains some insulative properties. JMHO.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Would it be advisable to put silnylon on the outside (bottom) and DWR ripstop on the inside part next to the hammock?
    You'll have condensation problems if you do that. See Youngblood's first post in this thread for a well-worded explanation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks Dwight and Angrysparrow,
    That makes sense and I thankee for that. Great advise!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    some thoughts about the under quilt.

WilsonBMW took apart a Hennessy Hammock last year. He discovered that the hammock itself is a rectangle. Only the bugnet and the tarp are cut asymmetrical.

I have noticed that, even without the tieouts that a Hennessy uses to hold the sides in position, after I am comfortably in position on the diagonal, things are pushed out into much the same shape as a Hennessy Assym.

Because of this, I am guessing that a Kick *** type underquilt would work just fine, as designed, IF YOU SLEEP ON THE DIAGONAL.

On the other hand, Jacks r better underquilts are rectangular and no one complains about them not working, So Maybe the extra work on a KAQ isn't needed at all. see their site instructions for installation of an underquilt
    http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Pr...structions.htm

Since I believe in the KISS principle (keep it simple) I believe I would start with a simple rectangular quilt and see what happens
    Tom

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast