Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NFA View Post
    Down just doesn't meet my criteria for camping clothes and gear...too expensive, too moisture sensitive, requires too much care and consideration...

I'm not saying people shouldn't use it, just that there are people who camp year round who aren't members of the down cult...I offer this only as food for thought...

Jamie - nfa
    NFA,

What do you use? I am not a member of the down cult! I am open to suggestions. You say cheaper, I liked that.

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    NFA,

What do you use? I am not a member of the down cult! I am open to suggestions. You say cheaper, I liked that.
    I'm a big fan of fleece and polypro clothing, inside a windproofwaterproof outer layer...for sleeping, I like artificial fiber sleeping bags (love my MSS) in combination with a hammock sock, IX insulation, and a sleeping pad...in cold weather, I combine my preferred clothing with my preferred sleeping gear, and it works for me down into the -30s (F).

I'm doing a trip up into the High Peaks in a couple of weeks, and am trying to keep my pack weight under 20 pounds...

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NFA View Post
    I'm a big fan of fleece and polypro clothing, inside a windproofwaterproof outer layer...for sleeping, I like artificial fiber sleeping bags (love my MSS) in combination with a hammock sock, IX insulation, and a sleeping pad...in cold weather, I combine my preferred clothing with my preferred sleeping gear, and it works for me down into the -30s (F).

I'm doing a trip up into the High Peaks in a couple of weeks, and am trying to keep my pack weight under 20 pounds...

Jamie - nfa
    Wow! -30! So you sandwhich polartec 300 with ripstop or something similar? How do you utilize the IX insulation?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    As I have 3 military poncho liners,,I just took one, and made a foot box by taking a super sharp pointed small fillet knife,,and made incisions thru the nylon hem and threaded a piece of parachord thru every 2 inches across the bottom and up the sides 2ft each....the nylon won't rip as you might think it would,,seems to hold great,,can take it loose and back to a flat blanket,,works great,,,and you have a over large quilt of sorts with very minimal efffort. And,,it seems to be alot warmer with the foot box around your legs from your knees down to your feet. As poncho liners are slick..it really keeps it in place and getting a great sleep using it down to so far,,50 degrees. I do have the AHE NR quilt loosely attached letting it vent as well,,and its super great as well.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I'm a poncho liner guy as well...I made a no-sew PLUQ and use a military patrol bag as a TQ... maybe not the lightest combo...(both total about 4 to 5 lbs), but light enough for the $$$. great 3 season combo down to about 50*.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    hmm. my question was what kind of temps you were expecting this to cover you on, so far I see responses from 50-30ish..what most folks call shoulder season(?)..
    but thought I would mention- I've recently been having great success with a damask linen tablecloth I scored at a recent estate sale; about 60x90; have been using it as a light weight cover/sheet; as I have difficulty sleeping with nothing over me (head gasket blown on this, no clue why)
    I can weigh it if you need the specs, but it goes great this way- fluff it out flat, lay down on half, and flip the other half over the top. alternately just pull it up over you longwise and tuck the sides in to foil any pesky bugs that might be about.
    N.B- linen has a excellent rep for absorbing moisture and wicking it away- something like 30% of its weight before you even start to notice any dampness.
    hope that helps with your 'warmer' season excursions, KM(who is sleeping on clouds of linen and feathers, and liking it very much)

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Therm-a -rest lighweight blanket is nice too.

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    I'm late to the conversation but I have been using this http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197 and it is awesome.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have 4 poncho lines (one for each person in the family). I always take mine along as I can use it by its self or as an extra blanket when it is really cold. I have used mine as a blanket for my head when really cold to augment my down bag.

You can pick them up on ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...4&_sop=1&_sc=1 for $20 or less with shipping.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234