Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Frugal noob in need of advice

I'd like to replace my bed with a hammock but I've got all kinds of questions.

Firstly, can I build/construct the hammock myself?
    If so what kind of materials should I consider?

I'd like my hammock to be cold weather friendly. It gets pretty cold in the winter with no heat going sometimes.

I'd also like to add that I live in a mobile home/trailer home or whatever you want to call it. Is the mounting procedure going to be different than it would be in a house? Should I consider using a free-standing base instead of mounting via walls/ceiling?

Also after doing a bunch of reading on the forums I've seen quite a bit of mention of ridgelines.

Do I need one? What are the pros and cons of having one?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    So many questions... let me see what I can do...

Can you make a hammock: YES. See the DIY forum... (see Knotty's instructions here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205 ) Nylon and Polyester are your best bets. Nylon stretches, polyester doesn't. I've made a few really comfortable hammocks out of both... since weight isn't a factor, I'd find a nice polyester that is not super-thin and feels good on the skin. Usable fabric is dependent on your weight...

Cold weather friendly is ok. Consider either making an under quilt, or for really cold weather, a double layer hammock can have a foam pad in between the layers. Just remember that foam doesn't breathe, so if you sweat, it will stay with you... You can take a comforter, fold it to about 45" wide, and tie loops on each corner... Using bungee cords to tie i up under the hammock will allow it to keep your butt warm. Look at the DIY Poncho Liner Under quilt for ideas on how it works. (You'll need to gather each end so they'll conform to the shape of the hammock. - most use shock cord --aka thin elastic cord) It'll take some fiddling. Having a second person helps...

Given my limited understanding of mobile home construction: I would avoid attaching any hammock to a wall... you're likely to tear the wall down. A free-standing hammock stand is the only way to go.

In a static-setup (aka, your home) a ridgeline isn't that useful. It's most useful when you're hanging the hammock in different locations. It allows you to get the same sag every time. Now if you have mosquitos indoors, or it gets REALLY REALLY cold, then a ridgeline would support a bugnet or a hammock sock.

Hope that helps. Keep reading!

Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    I'd like to replace my bed with a hammock but I've got all kinds of questions.

Firstly, can I build/construct the hammock myself?
    If so what kind of materials should I consider?

I'd like my hammock to be cold weather friendly. It gets pretty cold in the winter with no heat going sometimes.

I'd also like to add that I live in a mobile home/trailer home or whatever you want to call it. Is the mounting procedure going to be different than it would be in a house? Should I consider using a free-standing base instead of mounting via walls/ceiling?

Also after doing a bunch of reading on the forums I've seen quite a bit of mention of ridgelines.

Do I need one? What are the pros and cons of having one?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hammock stand. Definetely!!
    Either store bought or diy one from the plans here on HF.
    An indoor hammock can be made from most anything fabric that doesnt stretch much. Canvas can be used. Ripstop is fine for outdoors stuff but I like a simple cotton fabric for indoors. Less noisy, softer feel. Breathes well.
    Find yourself some good feeling 60" or more wide fabric, that doesnt stretch, sew around the edges. Tie on some sturdy ropes or webbing.
    BAM you got yerself a hammock.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Thanks for the great advice. The studs in mobile homes are 2x2 or 2x3 which is why I asked if it was even a good idea. I'll do some searching for stands. I would prefer a discreet stand. Does anyone have a cheat sheet for weight ratings for different fabrics?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Dean, I've been in my hammock fulltime for around 3 months and love it. Here is a stand I cobbled togeather. I grew up in mobile homes and know that some bedrooms can be small and this is 10' long so it may not work for you.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35273
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

I've got a stand somewhere in my barn from an old hammock my dad got from Marlboro. Gonna go hunt for it in a bit and get measurements on it when I find it.

Found it! It's a bit dusty and has a few rust spots but that's not gonna hurt anything.
    It's this style of hammock:

16ft long and 43" high.
    I gotta measure my bedroom to make sure it'll fit.

Unfortunately it's too long >.>

The bedroom is only about 11x11.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    olddog's stand is 10'.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    This may not help but I live in a Mobile Home too and I screwed Porch Swing Hooks into the walls where two walls come together so essentually the hooks are in double 2X4's. But also I don't weigh over 115 lbs.

Couldn't the stand fit from corner to corner?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast