Tarp
    DIY In Progress
    Insulation
    None at the moment
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

sleeping bag freak out..help

SOOO I went out in search of a new sleeping bag to help with winter camping. It took a few days but I finally end up with I think a nice bag.

The store had a nice Marot 20degree down bag on display with no price, after searching high and low for the stock of them I finally asked for help. The salesman search and then took out his code reader gun to see how many were in stock. None, even though I was looking at one in front of me. And according to him there was no price with it either.

So a manager finally came over and did exactly the same thing the saleman did except finally after scratching his head just looked at me and said 100$ and its yours.

So i snatched it and began to look for hte compression sack.....it was no where to be found. The salesman then jumped on the radio talked to the manager again. He then offerred me 25% off to take it without the bag. I quikcly accepted the offer.

Theh the salesman came back and handed me a compression stuff sack from another bag from display and said I could take that and still get the discount.
    Itf fit perfectly. So I became the proud new owner of a down filled 20 degree sleeping bag for 75 dollars.

When it was all compressed it only about 6 x12 and wieghed 2 lbs somethingish

I rushed home to test it out.

Now here comes the freak out.

I jumped in it on the couch, zipped it up, and then in about 10 seconds started to freak out from claustropobia. I have never had it in my life and small cramped spaces dont bother me, but that mummy bag caused me serious issues. It didnt help that I was freaking out, couldnt find the zipper (it was next to my face)and didnt have much arm movement. Now my wife was having a grand ol time with this and her laughing didnt stop for a while but finally came over to unzip me since I couldnt seem to do it for myself.

So here is where I will need help. I know I know short question made very very long, but...

can anyone recommend NON Mummy sleeping bag for hammock winter camping, I realized I need my arm freedom more then I expected.

Thanks much,

Zippo

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You could use the Marmot as a top quilt. Buy or make a hammock sock to help control breezes, and make sure you have really good bottom insulation. If you really need the feel of something around you (but it sounds like that's exactly what you don't need), you could add a roomy silk sleeping bag liner. Layering works for sleeping, too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Don't zip it up, use it as a top quilt. Get you some sort of bottom insulation and use the bag as a top quilt. The down is gonna compress under you anyway in the hammock, and provide no warmth. I use a down bag and I removed the zipper completely, works great.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You got a steal of a deal on that bag and Marmot is one of the nicest bags out there IMO.

For hammock camping, you are much better off with a quilt on top of you anyway. I would sell the bag for quite a handsom profit and buy a top quilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Sounds like everyone else said what I was going to say.

I can't stand mummy bags either. I'm a side sleeper and I needs my space!

Open it up and use it as a top quilt. If the wife is handy with a sewing machine, maybe even go crazy and remove the zippers and save even more weight!
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I am with everyone else here. For that kind of money, it is definitely a keeper! You got a steal there. I'd just convert to a top quilt or even convert it over to an under quilt. I have been looking on ebay and craigslist forever for inexpensive down sleeping bags that I could convert to TQ and UQ. Great find you have there

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Even in my skinny military days, I never zipped the mummy bags up. Either I had it open and over me, or under me with a poncho liner on top.
    I've always been a "flipper", going from side to side which is hard in the mummy bags when zipped.
    Last time I was cold weather tent camping, I had an Exped 9 Down filled air matteress under me, and the military modular sleep system bags on top unzipped all the way.

In the hammock, I've used a pad in a pocket under me along with an underquilt and then a light sleeping bag on top as a topquilt type thing.

I am also a warm to hot sleeper so that is a factor as well.

DKPerdue

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Glad you survived! I got stuck inside a small but very thick shirt once as a kid that I couldn't get back off, had my arms pinned inside as well, freaked me out but good and I still remember it vividly. So I feel your... uhhmmm... pain?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyZippo View Post
    Now here comes the freak out.

I jumped in it on the couch, zipped it up, and then in about 10 seconds started to freak out from claustropobia. I have never had it in my life and small cramped spaces dont bother me, but that mummy bag caused me serious issues. It didnt help that I was freaking out, couldnt find the zipper (it was next to my face)and didnt have much arm movement. Now my wife was having a grand ol time with this and her laughing didnt stop for a while but finally came over to unzip me since I couldnt seem to do it for myself.

Thanks much,

Zippo

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Congrats on a GREAT BARGIN. Marmot makes excellent sleeping bags.

I think you need to define winter camping. Are you going out in 0-32 *F weather or sub-zero weather?

- mummy bags add warmth by limiting the internal dead air space that you need to heat,

Mummy bags also have insulted hoods, baffles, draw strings, and close fits to limit the bellow effect whereby your breathing pushes warmed air out of the bag

IMO these bag features become critical when you cold camp in sub-zero temps

- rectangular bags and quilts typically do not have these construction features

People have made top quilts work in the winter by also having balaclavas, down hats, gloves, thick base layers, etc.

I am too restless a sleeper to use my TQ in the winter.

- semi-mummy bags have these construction features but the increased internal air space means they are less effective compared to a mummy bag with the same loft

Now to your Question:

- Big Agnes makes semi-mummy bags, the insulation is only on the top side, you can think of them as top quilts with a body sock attached to them

- some bag manufactuers have "wedges" that can be zippered in to open up the internal bag, I don't know if they are universal or manufacturer specific
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone 85% done
    Tarp
    DIY In Progress
    Insulation
    None at the moment
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the help I think I am going to figure out a way to use it as an OQ but I am not quite ready to remove the zipper yet. Ill have to look into a way keeping it in OQ fashion and still useable as a sleeping bag when i want to..If i ever do again after the freak out lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast