DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap

Hammock Tie out

How do you guys add tie outs to the hammock body? I have the materials, but am unsure of the best way to tackle this beast.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Images
    i eliminated all tie-outs. i can't help.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you're going the asym route, the DIY Hennesey thread has the best tips and diagram for adding tie-outs. Found here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=670

You can incorporate them as part of a grosgrain trim or sew them on separately (usually with zig-zag reinforcement stitches). They can also go in between the two layers in a double layer if you wanted. Bunch of different options! Best of luck.
    Maker of fine affordable No-See-Um Ridgeline Organizers.
    The Hammock Nest Outdoor Blog

This space for rent!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Thanks Jenna! I guess I should also ask do they work for all types of hammocks? I made a gathered end and just tried a tie out with some grip clips and didn't see much benefit.

Will a tie out be useful on my hammock type?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    From what I've gathered and experienced, tie-outs help to give you more room by pulling out the sides of the hammock - preventing a cocoon or mummy effect. I think they'd work in any sort of hammock. For example, the DIY Hennessy is a basic rectangle, gathered at the ends. The asym spacing of tie outs simply support a more diagonal lay (so you don't "banana" in the hammock. )

One trouble I found when I first tried tie-outs was that, when you climb in the hammock, the entire thing sinks down and the tie-out lines become loose. You lose all that roominess! Other members suggested making sure your tie-outs are pulled more horizontally away from the hammock body, rather than simply down and taut. I found this much more effective at keeping the sides of the hammock out of your face.

You can always temporarily stitch on some tie-outs, experiment with different approaches, and - if nothing suits your fancy - simply undo the stitching and take them out!
    Maker of fine affordable No-See-Um Ridgeline Organizers.
    The Hammock Nest Outdoor Blog

This space for rent!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What I've noticed with the Hennessy is that the tie-outs do better if you clip them to the tarp guylines than if you try to stake them out.

With the huge Hennessy Hex, the guylines need to go to stakes further out than the tie-outs need. Clipping the tie-outs to the guyline rings (or even the guylines themselves) makes the hammock spread out nicely, keeping the netting off of your face.

It's also worth noting that the tie-outs on the Hennessy are made out of shock cord. Otherwise, you'd definitely get that lack of roominess when the hammock sags under your weight.

I'm not sure that a simple gathered-end would really need the tie-outs, though. They're almost absolutely necessary for a hammock with an integral bug net, 'cause the netting likes to drag down onto your face. However, I'm not convinced that the tie-outs really do anything to increase the actual roominess of the hammock except in that case.

Your odometer may not be accurate.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Tie outs help pull the loose fabric and netting. They dont make the lay any different. They give the hammock a "bigger" look when empty.
    I removed mine. Just one more thing to be in the way under the tarp.

As for attaching them, A bartack or boxstitch along the folded hem holds the grosgrain(gg) on fine. I used 3/8" gg, mitten hook to that, with tiny shockcord (2mm), which I then staked out.

I can use em or remove em completely. The little tab of gg stays tho
    But for me it was one more thing to trip on, especially at "midnight call".
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Tieouts aren't really a structural part of a hammock. They are convenient on a bug net hammock and on any hammoc with floppy sides, in that they keep fabric from blowing into your face.

I use an 18" section of 3/32" nylon shockcord and 1.75mm zing-it (or braided mason line) for the remainder of the tie out. This minimizes weight. Plus, I tie the line to my tarp stake, which saves another stake.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts