1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Is this bag a good UQ candidate

I am looking for a sleeping bag to convert into two UQs.
    I found a perfect candidate except for one thing ---- I dont think it will keep me warm.

Its 80% down, rectangular, 85" long (This measurement does not include a hood or such. It is actually 85" which means I may get two 42" wide UQs) It compresses fairly well. One side already has a channel for a shock cord suspension. It has a good zipper I can salvage and it is cheap.

I am worried about it keeping me warm. Its 80% down but I dont know the grade. I am assuming the lowest there is. It is labelled 20 oz fill. It has 1-1.5" loft at the most. If I laid my hand on it gently with hardly any pressure it compressed to 0.0".

I didnt have a tape measure at the store so I took pictures next to my shoe for scale. Some pictures are misleading. It did not come up past the top of my shoe. The bag is opened as a blanket in these pictures so it is one layer thick.

What do you think? I would like to use it in 30 - 40 degrees. BTW its Sports Authorities in house brand Alpine Design.

IMAG0278.jpg IMAG0281.jpg IMAG0289.jpg IMAG0286.jpg IMAG0282.jpg IMAG0283.jpg IMAG0293.jpg
    Last edited by wwk10; 08-30-2011 at 21:18.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    what is the rating of the bag?
    if it seems like it lost loft... try washing it ,it should bring it back to life
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are the chambers on this sleeping bag continuous top to bottom? By that I mean is it possible to shake the down so that there is more down on the "top" side and less on the bottom? If that is the case and given the bags width of 68" (34x2) based on the label, I might be inclined to make a 3/4 length UQ 42" wide by 52" or so long. Before cutting the bag to that size, I would shake all the down to one side there by increasing the overall loft and thus the temperature rating of the resulting under quilts.

There are many people here who have modified and sleeping bag into an underquilt.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    GLP
    I cannot find a temperature rating and staff was not helpful

This is a new bag (but I think it may be NOS new old stock) If it is low grade duck down, would washing it help regain loft?

Brian William
    I forgot to check if it had baffles. I think that is what you were getting at. I did put it in its stuff sack and take it out. I dont remember the down bunching up. On the other hand it seemed so thin, I dont know if there was enuf to bunch up.

Whether it has baffles or is sew through, the tubes are horizontal and do not go all the way around the bag. When laid flat, there is a separation between back and front tubes.

I want this bag to work so badly. Its rare to see a bag 85" long (not counting hoods etc.) It already has a channel on one side for suspension. It compresses small. etc etc

But it is thin

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    If I make two UQs and they are too cold, I guess I could stack them. I think stacked this may make one warm UQ.

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone 85% done
    Tarp
    DIY In Progress
    Insulation
    None at the moment
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Oh post pictureas if you make a stackable set. I have an old down blanket that I want to try that with.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    If I make two UQs and they are too cold, I guess I could stack them. I think stacked this may make one warm UQ.
    I picked up a few of the SA down throws, and that's what I do. I like it because it's modular, when it's not too cold, I only use one. Very cold, I use two stacked.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    If it is new, try putting it in the dry with no heat and give is a spin.

People make UQ from poncho liners, which are thinner than your sleeping bag. You will get some insulation value from just about anything you hang under the hammock-- the question is how much insulation for the weight and cost. It looks like summer/above 40F stuff to me. You could use it sandwiched with a space blanket to tweak a few more degrees out of it. Stacked would be good, or folded.

Consider this poncho liner adaptation by dejoha and applying it to your down blanket: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18539

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the replies. I agree this looks like a 50 degree bag. 40 at best. I think it would be ok doubled over, but I am trying to get two UQs out of it.

Re dehojas. Pluq mod. Would a sleeping pad work? I don't want to sleep on a pad, but they are so lite I've been thinking about taking them.

If I hung a UQ, then inserted a pad then the hammock, then me:
    1 would I get added warmth or would the pad defeat the purpose of the uq by compressing it and by creating gaps
    2 would it be uncomfortable

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I finally found a very helpful customer service rep who actually picked up the phone two different times with no waiting.

She says the bag is:
    10 degree, baffle construction, Heavy weight with 20 oz fill and total weight 21 oz. If thats true, this bag is a dream come true.

I just dont see how it is though, the bag feels so thin and light.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast