Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    When the hammock is occupied, the stiffness of the fully inflated pad is not enough to push the hammock body beyond the spreader length. The foot end conforms to the 18" width with a broad "U" shaped bottom. It feels like my body deflects about 10" down when I recline in the hammock. I imagine the sides must be coming in as the volume of space increases from top to bottom. I haven't been able to observe just how much yet.

I will try to find a willing model or photographer.

Thank-you bhinson!

And Les Rust, I have been sleeping in narrow foot bridge hammocks for over two years and prefer them over other hammocks. However, I have never tested a rectangular pad previously, so yeah, I'll let you all know how it goes.
    dblhmmck, I've been thinking as I look at your pictures that I believe your hammock probably feels pretty much like my gathered end using the spreader bar above the head, except using less material.
    Your description seams to confirm it.
    I've been looking at the different bridge hammock pictures for some time thinking some of them would be great w/ the rectangular inflated air mat I use (Exped DAM 7).
    I've been sleeping on an inflatable in my hammock for years now & I love it.
    Great looking hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    dblhmmck, I've been thinking as I look at your pictures that I believe your hammock probably feels pretty much like my gathered end using the spreader bar above the head, except using less material.
    Your description seams to confirm it.
    I've been looking at the different bridge hammock pictures for some time thinking some of them would be great w/ the rectangular inflated air mat I use (Exped DAM 7).
    I've been sleeping on an inflatable in my hammock for years now & I love it.
    Great looking hammock.
    Good hearing from you, Slowhike! I remember that you have a unigue head end spreader bar arrangement on a GE hammock. Very original, and I am glad that it is working for you. Yes, I think you are right very similar to what I am doing with the fatpad hammock.

One thing that we seem to prefer, and it is obvious that we are in the minority here, is the "in line" lay. That is as opposed to the diagonal lay that so many prefer. The in line lay does have many advantages, it seems like it is the most simple and efficient. Using a pad is simpler if a diagonal lay is avoided. Maybe this is part of the reason that pad use in the hammock has been successful for you and me.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    One thing that we seem to prefer, and it is obvious that we are in the minority here, is the "in line" lay. That is as opposed to the diagonal lay that so many prefer. The in line lay does have many advantages, it seems like it is the most simple and efficient. Using a pad is simpler if a diagonal lay is avoided. Maybe this is part of the reason that pad use in the hammock has been successful for you and me.
    The in-line lay is a crucial element to using a peapod as your insulation system, too. You'd probably have to give up your pad for a peapod though!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very good points.
    A few more notes... Despite what some may think about laying center in a gathered end (GE) hammock, I lay almost perfectly flat down the center or even flatter yet w/ just a very slight diagonal.
    A couple things make this possible in my GE hammock...
    1)... When I gathered the ends I pulled the side hems (ears as some call them) out quite far. Others have been doing this to help prevent floppy sides for quite some time, but another thing it will do is allow the center of the hammock at the head & foot ends to drop some, making the bottom of the hammock a little closer to flat.
    2)... Also I hang my hammock tighter (less sag) than average. This & the above gathering technique help give you a near flat lay.

A couple disadvantages w/ my system compared to your bridge are that I have to be mindful of the extra tension on the hammock, supports, & whatever I hang it from because of stretching it tighter.
    That hasn't been a problem but I guess if any part of the system becomes questionable it would become a concern.
    Also, I like the fact that a bridge hasn't got the extra fabric that needs protecting from the elements or that adds to the weight & bulk.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a sweet looking bridge Dlblhmmck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345