Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SB Tarp Questions

Hey, everybody.

The 1.9 SL Switchback is my first official hammock. I’m searching for a tarp for it. As you know, the SB is 120 inches long and Dale at TTTG recommends a tarp with a 144 inch ridgeline. I‘ve read that some SB users say a 132 in. ridgeline is sufficient.

For those of you using a tarp with a 132 in. ridgeline, is that only a “fair weather” set up for you, or do you find it sufficient for heavy winds and/or rain? If it is only a fair weather tarp for you, what do you use (or plan to use) for harher weather conditions?

I’ve seen pictures posted here at HF where guys criss-cross the tarp corners to help enclose the hammock from wind and rain. Does anyone here with a do that with a tarp with a 132 in ridgeline? How has it worked for you? Or would a 144 in ridgeline tarp be better for that sort of coverage? And, if you do fold over the corners, do you use pull outs from the side of the tarp to pull the tarp away from your hammock? Or do you use pull outs at the bottom edge of the tarp to pull the tarp away from your hammock? Or both? I’m asking because it seems that some manufacturers differ in what they offer as far as pull outs on the side v. pull outs on the edge of the tarp.

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I do.....11' ridgeline.
    I added tabs to my bottom hem about 20 or so inches in.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I'm still trying to decide on 132" vs 144" for my SB.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use either an OES Deluxe or WB BMJ with my SwitchBacks. If the weather turns I just throw on a set of doors (WB BMJ doors - I've modded them a bit to fit the Deluxe too).
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

SB Tarp set up

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I do.....11' ridgeline.
    I added tabs to my bottom hem about 20 or so inches in.
    Shug

Thanks, Shug. Those are a couple of the images I was thinking of. For my clarification, though, do you use this set up with a hammock that is 10' in length?

OES / BMJ Tarp with Doors

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I use either an OES Deluxe or WB BMJ with my SwitchBacks. If the weather turns I just throw on a set of doors (WB BMJ doors - I've modded them a bit to fit the Deluxe too).
    Thanks, Shane! I guess I'm trying to decide between getting a shorter tarp like the BMJ but with doors as an option for foul weather. Or going with a larger tarp that I can wrap around the hammock, ala Shug's photos.

Is it safe to presume that I could not effectively "wrap" the tarp around the SB when the tarp has an 11' ridgeline because the SB is a fairly long hammock?

I sure do appreciate your input.

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    Thanks, Shug. Those are a couple of the images I was thinking of. For my clarification, though, do you use this set up with a hammock that is 10' in length?
    My hammock is about 10' or so...
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I'm hope Rip chimes in on this one as I just got confirmation of shipping today/tomorrow from TTTG of a 1.9DL and am interested to see what tarp I may need.

Rip mentioned yesterday he was planning on stringing up his SB under his BMJ.

My thoughts are that, although the Switchback is the same raw length as the WBBB, there are a couple of factors at play.

1. The channeled end on the Switchback rather than a whipped end on the WBBB may add a couple of inches to the overall finished length?

2. This hammock, I feel, is more comfortable when strung tighter (my limited experience hanging for a day in Rip's loaner). This is made possible due to it not having a structural ridgeline. Consequently, when you string this thing taut, it further lengthens it.

These two items combined, would make the hammock probably 112-115 inches long when strung - only leave you probably 12-18 inches of wiggle room under the tarp is my assumption???

Once again, these are only speculations, I'm going to be interested to see Rip's (and anyone else's who has experience with a 132'' tarp and SB) input on this.

Images
    HI Mike,
    If I use my OES Delux with my SB I always carry the 2QZQ Grizz Beak for one end.
    Do to the deep catcut in the OES tarps I feel the ends of the hammock are not protected enough.
    If I take my HMG cuben 11x8 I do not bring doors and have weather some pretty strong storms with nothing getting wet. Both tarps have a 132" RL

hth

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    HI Mike,
    If I use my OES Delux with my SB I always carry the 2QZQ Grizz Beak for one end.
    Do to the deep catcut in the OES tarps I feel the ends of the hammock are not protected enough.
    I'm not seeing the logic in this. An OES Deluxe in sil weighs 13.1 oz. The Grizz Beak is listed as less than 6 oz. which too me means between 5 and 6 ounces. Let's call it 5.5 oz. So for this combination you're at 18.6 oz. You could simply carry an OES Ultra instead which weighs 15.4 oz. Am I missing something here?
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast