ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap

Thumbs up

I first became aware of hammocking was when I joined the Woman Hikers List, and a member was bragging about it. That same year, I went to the "Yellow Daisy Festival" held at Stone Mountain, Ga. Among all the specialty booths, I came across Eagles Nest Putfiters booth. Tried their hammock, and I fell in love with it right then and there!!

Purchased the hammock and their "slap straps" on the spot. I did have to wait for the straps for a few weeks. But, once arrived, I started hanging... How cool... Never slept better, and finally my back was very happy.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I watched the Anyplace Wild episode:"Two Kids, Two Dads and 10,000 Islands: Family Canoeing in the Florida Everglades" on PBS in 2001. John Viehman and his daughter camped in hammocks in the Everglades, hanging them from Cypress trees growing up out of the water. I was amazed at this, and knew that I would love to go do that sometime.

I started researching hammock tents, and came upon the (I think) Clark Jungle hammocks site. Years later, after settling down enough in life that I could look seriously at them, I found the HH site, found all of this online info, and I was hooked.

I'm still planning my "swamp" trip -- maybe early next spring, before the ticks, snakes, and mosquitos are all out. Looking at Merchants Millpond State Park, in northeastern NC.

Edit to say which show it was.
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 12-29-2006 at 14:10.

I first say people sleeping in Hammocks while working at a scout camp when I was 16. I thought it would be a lot of fun but never thought more about it. Many years later while hiking in the Sierras we got in late and I was to tired to set up my tent so I pulled out a Hammock my wife made for me and slept in it. I had a ok nights rest but I understood what I needed to change to sleep better.

Sence then she has made me 2 more hammocks 2 underquilts and I have made 1 hammock and some small extras. When we go camping the kids fight over who gets to sleep in the hammocks. The only 2 night I have slept on the ground is when my wife or kids got the the hammocks first.

No sleep on ground in Spring.

No sleep on ground in Summer.

No sleep on ground in Fall or Winter.

I noticed a pattern (it takes me a while).

Read Allen Leigh's article on camping in hammocks after finding the link posted by somebody somewhere (had not discovered the Yahoo group yet) - I think it might have been on a Troop website while researching Troop websites, being on the Council Web Committee. It cost me $25 to try it out, I never have tried to sleep on the ground again.

Probably wouldn't work if I did...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jakethesnake View Post
    When we go camping the kids fight over who gets to sleep in the hammocks. The only 2 night I have slept on the ground is when my wife or kids got the the hammocks first.
    Yikes...sounds like you need more hammocks!!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I have 3 more in the planning stages, and I have material for one.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I guess I was looking into getting a hammock after I saw my friend and his GI Jungle Hammock. Although it wasn't until I saw Risk's page, WB, and several other sources that I went a hanging. Since then, I havent slept on the ground, which has been about 8 months now.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    Bought my first hammock when I was in the Army at the PX. It was one of those cheap ones that balls up the size of a baseball. Loved it. Stopped using it when I saw my friend get taped inside of his with 100mph tape and swung like a jump rope (Didnt want it to happen to me too).

Started backpacking once I got out of the Army and found Rocks site. Bought a HH and love it, although I have only slept in it a few times.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - were you helping tape him?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

met a hiker on the AT on a summer hike

was hooked, ordered my first BP ASYM and then used it, realized winter was coming and since I hike year around started looking into ways to stay warm, made my first UQ out of an old Golite Fuzz quilt--still a good UQ but heavy, would be nice in a kayak, next had a bud's wife sew a UQ using Radiantek, then anothe with Primaloft, then bought an original JRB,around this time. Next discoverd the McCat original and the Lite Racer.....then added a Shenandoah UQ and my first Speer hammock and the original PeaPod...have since added the newest PeaPod and somewhere in there a McCat Deluxe and a Mt. Rogers...one of the smartest things i added in all of this was a Walmart hammock stand so I could easily experiment at home....the stand was worth its weight in gold after a 5 day section hike in central Va...I fell the second day out and cracked 2 ribs, slept like a baby each night, when i got home and crashed on a bed the pain was excrutiating but once back in the hammock the pain was gone while sleeping, so 2 weeks of sleeping in the hammock at home and the realization that beds are good for sex but the hammock better for sleeping.....
    some other tidbits, tried the SuperShelter and was dissapointed compared to just a syl-nyl 'weathershied' i came up with my own when originally playing with UQs...quickly realized that sil-nyl is not good for a shield and then realized that for 99% of my camping the real eastate under the McCate Deluxe prevents any wind blown or ricocheting rain from the UQ or the pod...
    Also have used a CrazyCreek hammock with a WM Ponderosa but that's another story.
    MM

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast