Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amazon Prime suspension advice?

I have a HH and some tree straps and have been reading and reading about how to create a simple adjustable suspension for it so I don't have to tie knots setting up each time. I'm leaning towards descending rings and a carabiner for simplicity since I don't need to worry about weight, and I'm far from going to be using this setup all the time. Can you guys advise me on the cheapest safe carabiners I can order from Amazon Prime? I don't want to spend more than $15 or so more on my setup. I can get rings from my local hardware store I think to run the stock HH cords thru, but other than that my only local option is Walmart.

I just want to throw straps around the trees, clip to 'em, cinch 'em, rainfly it and be done!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Black Diamond Neutrino Carabiner is the cheapest @ $8.00 to 9.00 each and lightest I could find on Amazon.

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    rings are a pain you have to still tie a slippery half to keep it from slipping under weight atleast mine do. spend $20 get straps and a cinch buckle from dutch you will be happy i know i was.

Quote Originally Posted by xrayit View Post
    Black Diamond Neutrino Carabiner is the cheapest @ $8.00 to 9.00 each and lightest I could find on Amazon.
    Thank you for the advice! But like I said, what if weight is not a concern? I do not intend on backpacking these into anywhere serious, just strapping to my bike and riding across a few states camping along the way. What would you advice on the cheap via Prime that would work without worrying about weight?

Quote Originally Posted by wagex View Post
    rings are a pain you have to still tie a slippery half to keep it from slipping under weight atleast mine do. spend $20 get straps and a cinch buckle from dutch you will be happy i know i was.
    I have read that they can slip a little. Can you provide links to what you recommend? I'm preferring via Amazon Prime bc the other places always gouge on shipping. Also, as I mentioned in my post, I already have tree straps. Thank you!!!!

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Any climbing rated biner will do the job. I see some as low as $6 on Amazon. You could also use galvanized steel biners, just check the working load rating.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Hammock
    10' 52'' Bias WWM
    Tarp
    HG CF Camo 4 door
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    DG Whoopie/ Kevlar
    Images
    + 1 on the Camp nano.
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I'll look into those, thank you! So what might you guys suggest other than descending rings that is cheap and easy?

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by dozens View Post
    I have read that they can slip a little. Can you provide links to what you recommend? I'm preferring via Amazon Prime bc the other places always gouge on shipping. Also, as I mentioned in my post, I already have tree straps. Thank you!!!!
    if you already have 1" straps then the cinch buckles will be all you need they are $5 plus about $2.50 for shipping i love mine only time i had them slip was when it was storming really bad and i went to pick my hammock up higher to keep out of the blowing rain mist they slipped back down to where they were already. kind of scared me but they held up the rest of the night without a hitch.. fwiw i was also trying to bring the straps / ridgeline up to like 0 degrees which puts a ton of weight on them.

i guess im a pretty small guy so they might slip for a larger person im not sure on that i weigh a buck fifty.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckle.html

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    using this you can see the kind of force going 5 degrees can put on straps lol looking at the numbers im not surprised they slipped back down to like 10 degrees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast