Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    human pinata
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    human pinata
    The bears can't get you either.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    What if you take your first design and just spread the attachment points away from one another. Say give them 10' or so. I would think that would help with shoulder squeeze and help with the claustrophobic feeling.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Very neat thread - and very neat idea!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    What if you take your first design and just spread the attachment points away from one another. Say give them 10' or so. I would think that would help with shoulder squeeze and help with the claustrophobic feeling.
    I tried that off the start..When I was attempting the 2 person hammock. Major cacoon effect. It was similar to setting a small chid into a normal hammock. Even laying full asym (90*) was cacoonish.
    If I had spreader bars on each end, it may have helped? But I wasnt after a design that had 10' long spreaders.

And then theres the weight/bulk issue (not me, the hammock ).
    Just a whole bunch o' fabric. Not a packable item, at all. Now that I shaved down the size, it is doable. Some lighter fabric, a different spreader bar...the new tarp came in at ~10 oz. And I'll get a weight on the hammcok as is now, but its a reasonable size.

I think it'd be possible to seam the hammock body to achieve the +100" width factor. Just stagger the seam so it isnt riding up the middle, similar to the paneled hammocks we all know. 60" wide panel in the center, two 30" wide panels at the edges...120" of hammock width x 100" or so long..I'm still wondering how the length thing factors into this design, if it can go shorter, say 7 0r 8 feet only, but still at 100-120 wide?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

couple days later.....

Okay heres what I came up with.
    Gargantu-tarp 1
    Played with a domed design, cat cuts, and while it worked, side exposure was evident in the winds we've been having. Several unique design features needed to be addressed.
    Center support.
    Clearance for gargantuos hammock spin radius.
    Higher than normal ridgeline, or lack of a ridgeline.

I had to come up with a center supported tarp, so this circle was part of the first few steps. Thru this circle will pass a loop of webbing that supports the hammock and the tarp. Unique is one word...
    gargantous tarp 1 001.jpg

gargantous tarp 1 003.jpg
    The dome design was too flat, I can adjust that some. But with this design, I needed poles for the angles to work out or 30 feet of guyline..not good. I might be able to use neighboring trees in the woods, but not available in my yard. And the lack of side coverage wasnt good.
    gargantous tarp 1 022.jpg
    But I took the tarp to the ground, and its features are pretty cool. Folding and turning the tarp creates a lot of different set up options.
    gargantous tarp 1 025.jpg

One neat feature was tent mode. So all was not lost

Learned a few tricks while messing around tho.
    Pythagoras was a smart guy. And I referenced his theories and math....a lot.
    Trying to stake out a center supported tarp can suck! The centerline changes as you try to guy out the tarp. So this lesson was to pull the center line down to the ground and temporarily stake it, to keep it vertical. Once the tarp is centered, then guy out the sides. Once the tarp is guyed out, then remove the centerline stake, and hang the hammock.

So I shelved V1, and went all out on V2.

Version 2 carried over some of the same basic design features, center support, pass thru suspension, clearance for the spreader bar/rotation of the hammock. But without a bunch of crazy angles, slopes, curves.

gargantous tarp 2 001.jpg
    My dog is mad at me.

First off, we'll address the suspension. Tossed the webbing over the limb, same as in the previous post. I marlin spike hitched a quicklink into the webbing, as a toggle, getting the right elevation. (I'll get some better looking webbing)
    Onto that goes the amsteel continous loop, resting on the hitch, which passes thru the tarps peak and allows for hammock attachment. Grosgrain crosses over the center peak. I burned a small hole into the grosgrain after stitching it together. Think buttonhole. I'll fashion a raincap for this area.

gargantous tarp 2 006.jpg
    From the inside.
    After the amsteel loop comes thru the tarp, I tied a big ol' knot, which is holding a large washer. The washer only supports the tarp at the peak. The grosgrain cross runs down outside on all the seams...yeah it was tricky.

Then the standard hook and whoopies attach to the loop, supporting the hammock. The weight is beared by the continous loop and the tarp rides freely supported at the peak. I'll silicone the grosgrain inside and out to seal the system.

gargantous tarp 2 004.jpg

gargantous tarp 2 005.jpg
    Grosgrain seam and tieout detail.

gargantous tarp 2 007.jpg
    gargantous tarp 2 002.jpg
    And some pics of the outside.
    The hammock/spreader bar has good clearance, and allows for spinning and swaying. The pyramid shape is stable and even in the gusty winds we are having, it staked well after figuring out the usual rookie/virgin tarp set up issues. The tarp has excellent headroom too.
    Dimensions are 90" at the long edge/base, and 72-1/2 slanted seams. Which according to my new friend Pythagoras gives the sidewall length of 60-1/4", and a center height of 42"..IIRC .
    I dont need the support poles. They were just handy.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 09-07-2011 at 15:32.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

I'm not sure .... but I think that might be illegal in at least eight states!
    Attached Images Attached Images

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    If not, it should be!

Gargoyle- NEATO!
    What's your plan for water running down the line? I can see that casual water isn't likely to sneak through the opening, but I envision water running straight down that Amsteel. Tell me I'm wrong and you used some magic pixie dust or something. Wouldn't bother me a bit cause that is a cool looking tarp. Bet you can sell that to the new-agers all day long.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I could put a HH botom slit in there...MULTI-PURPOSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If not, it should be!

Gargoyle- NEATO!
    What's your plan for water running down the line? I can see that casual water isn't likely to sneak through the opening, but I envision water running straight down that Amsteel. Tell me I'm wrong and you used some magic pixie dust or something. Wouldn't bother me a bit cause that is a cool looking tarp. Bet you can sell that to the new-agers all day long.
    Thanks.
    On the webbing will be a rain cap/mini-umbrella which will slope out covering the peak. I'll figure it all out and do some pics. I'll goop on some sil at the peak of the tarp...and for now carry a bucket. prototyping on the fly..Literally!

Hey, I can string up my water bottle under there.

That hammock is comfortable. Got clearance from Mrs. G to hang it indoors too.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Wow! I really like that. That would be a pretty flat lay.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast