Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by leshka View Post
    Thanks a lot. I much appreciate your help. One more question. What is your opinion on insulated hummock? I'm thinking about 58" and about 4 Oz of down sewn to the bottom. It would save a bit of weight, but would it be functional?
    I really don't have an opinion on that. Personally I like to do things in layers. It is simpler to take off when you start getting warm and put on if you get cold. If the insulation is sewn in than it would be hard to remove it unless your purpose it to have a dedicated fall and winter set-up.. I usually use a blue foam pad and been fine in the spring and summer months.

TheXringHunt
    TheXringHunt

Quote Originally Posted by TheXringHunt View Post
    I really don't have an opinion on that. Personally I like to do things in layers. It is simpler to take off when you start getting warm and put on if you get cold. If the insulation is sewn in than it would be hard to remove it unless your purpose it to have a dedicated fall and winter set-up.. I usually use a blue foam pad and been fine in the spring and summer months.

TheXringHunt
    Thank you very much

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

Smile

Great set of plans. I am 6' which set do you think would be right for me?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by jfranklin189 View Post
    Great set of plans. I am 6' which set do you think would be right for me?
    I am 5'8" and sleep comfortly in the 8' version but I was thinking of building one of the 9' version the next go around.
    TheXringHunt

Hammock
    Poorbonnet yellowCanary
    Tarp
    Thai el cheapo
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Paracord
    My opinion on size: I am 6", I just built the nine foot design, and i have 9" to 14" of space past my feet. Depending on my lay. I lay nice and flat, with many position options. I am going to build another one of these in single layer, as my material was a heavy type. I made several mistakes while building this and one caution/ suggestion for the first time builder: I got confused as to which side was the exterior on my double layer, so after sewing the panels together, I recommend to the novice tailor to mark the outside of the hammock! Lol my zipper is inside out ( triple stitched, and not coming apart!) and I have a set of pullouts on the inside (which led to the zipper...) I was unsure of where to put the pullouts, on the zipper side, but I now have a sturdy set inside. Gonna have to find a use for those...... Thanks for the great plans, as they led to what I am now referring to the Poorbonnet YellowCanary. I may perma insulate this one, I'm already at 2.5 lbs, minus suspension (with whipping and lashing and ridge)

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey, quick question here, as I am planning to make one of these in the next few weeks: on the 9 ft. version, the bugnet length is 108". Does that mean that my ridgeline HAS to be 108" as well? I've seen instructions for other hammock bugnets that says the net has to be the same length as the ridgeline. In my DIY Henessey, my ridgeline is about 95 inches and I want to be sure that I'm going to be comfortable.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Medecine Hat View Post
    Hey, quick question here, as I am planning to make one of these in the next few weeks: on the 9 ft. version, the bugnet length is 108". Does that mean that my ridgeline HAS to be 108" as well? I've seen instructions for other hammock bugnets that says the net has to be the same length as the ridgeline. In my DIY Henessey, my ridgeline is about 95 inches and I want to be sure that I'm going to be comfortable.
    Ive been doing mu reading on sewn on bugnets for a project of mine. I think the beat way is to dial in tue hammock for a few nights/ weeks etc. Then cut to suit and sew. Wait for more experienced folks to reply. But thats what I gather from the general concensus. I believe your final result will be as stated above. They will be close if not equal. Some people sew the ends like a tube for a couple of inches to the bugnet meets at thay point to the hammock. Appears to be less stress on the bug net.

I've made my own frankenbird, but I was looking to make something a little more refined and esthetically pleasing for my wife. I'm going to give the 8 footer a go next week. Has anyone made a 1.1 double layer 8 ft according to these instructions? What kind of weight am I looking at?

Thanks for posting these great plans OP!

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If folks don't mind, I've got some more questions about making this particular hammock in a 9 ft. version (I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs)

1. Is the 108" ridgeline a flat/comfortable lay? It's less than the 83% rule of the overall length, so I am guessing it is indeed pretty flat.

2. For a two-layer 1.1 oz model, do you sew the bugnet zipper to the layer directly under you, or to the layer on the bottom?

3. I was thinking about making the zipper-side wing out of noseeum at the head end, with the other half at the foot end being 1.1 oz ripstop sewn to it. (Kinda' like a narrow window). Does anyone see any issues with this?

I'm sure I will come up with more questions as I get further into the process. Right now I am just working on measuring, marking, and cutting my fabrics.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Medecine Hat View Post
    Hey, quick question here, as I am planning to make one of these in the next few weeks: on the 9 ft. version, the bugnet length is 108". Does that mean that my ridgeline HAS to be 108" as well? I've seen instructions for other hammock bug nets that says the net has to be the same length as the ridgeline. In my DIY Henessey, my ridgeline is about 95 inches and I want to be sure that I'm going to be comfortable.
    Yes and no. The ridgeline can be a bit shorter and the bug net will sag some but not much depending. Your ridgeline can't be longer than your bug net. It will but stress on your net causing it to rip.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast