DIY booties or something else

I told my wife that I want to get down booties for my daughter and I for our fall and winter hangs. Instead of buying them she came home with down jackets. She found at Goodwill and said I could make booties that way. Does anybody have a simple DIY to make booties out of jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must have sewing skills for your wife to suggest that! No doubt this can be done but I think there will be a lot of disassembly and a bunch of down floating around...

Search the web. There are several patterns out there.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    SUPER easy!!!!!! Cut off the sleeves, hem the cut portion, add elastic if needed and sew up one end. DONE!

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    I’d go order a pair of socks for you and your daughter, then hand your wife one of the jackets with a quizzical look on your face, and ask her to show you how she’d do that. While she is eventually cleaning up the down-bomb, you can bring in the package with the booties, and she will never know. If you do proceed with the project, put up an old tent, and do the down work in there, where the down can’t go too far. I would be afraid that if I made booties out of an old jacket, the booties would weigh a lot more than if I just bought them.

Images
    I took apart a down jacket to make a chair "underquilt". When preparing to cut off the sleeves I massaged the down away from the seam and pinned the 2 fabric layers together. Then you can cut with minimal down leakage- no tent needed.P.S. The chair cover was a failure-couldn't get it to fit right- but will try again.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Otter and Slugbait are the ones to follow. I have recycled down vests as hats by marking the pattern pieces on the vest, pushing the down away from the line, and stitching the outline. Cut away the surrounding scraps carefully to keep the rest of the down from getting loose. Use the stuffed pieces to assemble the booties. Search for "boot patterns". Make them tall and loose, but with elastic tops. I suggest starting with Otter's sleeve plan, and isolating the down from the area you cut, as slugbait did. Evaluate the results, and then think about a second pair. I found a pattern for insulated boots here, and made some nice ones with nylon and down. Since the pattern needed outer fabric and liners, I cut 4 pieces instead of 2, sewed each pair of pattern pieces together and stuffed them with down. Each pattern piece was then a down pillow. Assembly, following Tilly's instructions took some thought, but it worked. In order to get the lining on the inside and the outer on the outside, I had to turn my brain inside out and create a secret side door. They are my favorite sleeping footwear. As I said, start with Otter's plan.

Hammock
    Various 11' DIY
    Images
    A bit late but I made a pair of these last year and they turned out amazing. My cold foot problem is a thing of the past, toasty warm below 0f.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L06roqR4m5s
    https://wildernessquilter.com/myog-g...n-sleep-socks/

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoopular View Post
    A bit late but I made a pair of these last year and they turned out amazing. My cold foot problem is a thing of the past, toasty warm below 0f.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L06roqR4m5s
    https://wildernessquilter.com/myog-g...n-sleep-socks/
    I don't subscribe to anything, but I know quality when I see it, so now I do. Thanks.

• + New Posts