Question Can/should I do this, whoppie and structural ridgeline to toggle

First I want to say a huge thank you to the members here. I have learned a great deal since I joined.

I started with a Skeeter Beater Pro and after much research here added whoopie slings and tree hugger straps. I join these together with a marlin spike hitch.

I wanted a simpler method for the bug netting and I found a few posts by grizz and problem child that covered making the ridgeline go through the netting.

After those mods I realized I wanted to add a structural ridgeline that will establish a consistent sag.

My idea is to attach basically a long whoppie sling between the two toggles that will set the sag. At that point there would be both the whoppie sling going down to the hammock and the structural ridgeline going across and through the netting. Will that be to much load on the MSH and toggles?

How would I loop the two loops on either end, one under the toggle, and one over?

Does anyone do this? Any pictures of how it all looks and especially how the toggle setup looks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Just my 0.02, 2 whoopies over the same MSH is just begging for a slip off... the way I did my SRL is to have the eye end and whoopie end (adjustable whoopie RL) slipped over where I have the suspension whoopies at the end of the hammock. Easier to have a set point on the RL also, as you will always have a consistent distance RL end to end. If you do to the MSH, you have to basically have that at a set distance every time to have the sag you have dialed in.

Hope I had your question understood correctly, if not let me know.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I don't think doing this will help with consistent sag. Tree distance varies, so your distance between marlinespike hitches will also change. You'd be changing the length of the ridge line to compensate. For a structural ridge line to do its job, it needs to be attached near the ends of the hammock. A fixed length line will give the best consistency, but there's nothing wrong with using a whoopie to help find that length. Or keep the whoopie so you can choose the sag when you want a change.

You guys are 100% right.

I have been playing with my setups in the garage and your right as the "trees" or fixed points get further apart the ridgeline would have to change.

Thinking now maybe using a prusik type knot in between where the whoopie attaches to my hammock and the bury that makes the whoopie adjust. That would be a fixed point very close to the hammock body that would also raise my bug net a little higher than when the ridgeline is attached direct to the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    That sounds like a great idea.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    well if you put the RL throught the channel at the end of your hammock of better yet if you have a constant loop of sorts there just run it throught it on each side and then have some way to adjust it till you can get it the way you like it. just if i was you i would get a little binner like dutch sells and put it on one side so that way if you want to use the hammock like a chair the RL wont be in the way all you would have to do is unclip it anyway thats the way im gonna run mine and as far as your netting goes just take two more lil biners the smaller the better and just run one throught both of the net tieouts and then just clip them to your tarp line this is what i do and it works great "i got a skeeter beater pro also lol"

good luck

BT

• + New Posts