Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Thumbs up Double Layer Hammocks Rock

Went car camping this weekend with a double layer hammock that I just threw together, I just have to say that even using my least favorite pad (3/4 z-rest) it was the most enjoyable hang I've ever had. I just put the pad roughly on the angle that seemed most common and tossed my jacket in there with it where my legs would hit and had the most comfortable and struggle free rest yet. There was one other hanger with me and 3 tent folk.

For anyone not in NC, this weekend was almost constant rain and in the mountains atleast we had some good windchill. I woke twice to the sorrowfull call of my groundling buddies bailing out their tents... over breakfast saturday after their skeptical eyes realized that my friend and I were not only dry but well rested, "I should get a hammock..." was muttered a couple times.

I'll be making one of the hammocks for the new converts, I think the other guy is contemplating a HH although I hope he gets steered toward a clark.

Many thanks to all you clever people who have made my life more comfortable and offer this vast resource of information.

Maybe someday I'll get around to making a bridge hammock with a pad pocket and storage pockets underneath thus completing my DIY collection and ending the curse of my endless sewing forever!
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, it was wet in NC this past weekend.
    good demo on staying dry & well rested for your friends there<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

What a coincidence. The weekend before I was in the Mackey Mountain Wild Area with a friend, who is a ground dweller. It rained all night Saturday night. I stayed dry in my HH ULBP with my guide gear 9X9, he made the comment that I was snoring almost as soon as I hit the hammock. His sleeping pad got wet and his sleeping bag got wet, needless to say he didn't sleep well. The most amusing comment he made while I was setting up was "why do you do all of that". Now he knows, plus the digital camo tarp looks really cool.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Yep, I love my double layered hammocks. Don't ask how many I own, I've lost count. They're really great when it comes to dealing with pads in the hammock.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    Going by my limited experience with a double layer- a Claytor no net- they certainly are the best approach I've seen to using a pad. Even if the hammock is- maybe- slightly more comfortable with out the pad, there is still no way for me to call it uncomfortable, particularly compared to the ground. And keeping the pad positioned just does not seem to be an issue. This approach results in a weight increase just a hair more than an SPE, but it sure works great.

Images
    a double layer 1.1 would only be 1.5 oz or so heavier than a single layer 1.9 hammock. an spe would add more than that i'm guessing.

• + New Posts