WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you had a couple of descender rings attached to the hammock and webbing fed through them as cinch buckles then backed up by a slippery half hitch, that would be easy to loosen and tighten with gloves on. Even feeding the webbing through the rings at set up can be done with with lighter gloves or mittens. Check out 3:50 of Shug's video for what I am describing.
    Last edited by Bubba; 09-05-2011 at 20:41.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    S
    Tarp
    S
    Insulation
    Not Enough
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    U 2 ? ? ?

I whoopie, just enjoyed the answer
    Theres nothing like danglin in dixie!!!!

Murphy's Law: When one toilet breaks they all break.....its all a buncha crap.

Im an educated idiot. The more I learn the less I know.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Might we ask why you're sleeping outside the whole year... in Quebec? Did you lose a bet? I went up to Montreal once in January. Fantastic city BTW... I thought it was cold when I left Syracuse but it was at least 10 degrees colder up there! They even have special windshield washer fluid up there.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Figure 9's can't be beat . . .

I use the large for my hammock . . .
    That's asking for trouble.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by Gra_factor View Post
    Might we ask why you're sleeping outside the whole year... in Quebec? Did you lose a bet? I went up to Montreal once in January. Fantastic city BTW... I thought it was cold when I left Syracuse but it was at least 10 degrees colder up there! They even have special windshield washer fluid up there.
    I slept outside during the summer and loved it. It was great for my discipline; I did a lot of reading since the library became my living room. My original plan for the winter was to offer friends 100/month to sleep on their couch – I didn't think I could keep this up throughout the winter. However, research has led me to believe that I can do this. What once seemed impossible is now a challenge; I'm excited.

Of course, I won't be reckless. I have places to sleep at during storms, and if it's a distraction from my studies, then I'll find an apartment. I expect that it won't be as difficult as people imagine. With the right gear, I should never get cold.

I'm a university student (McGill) and doing this will allow me to save money so that, instead of paying 4800/year for an apartment, I can save up for two years, buy a bus, insulate it, and live in it for less than an apartment; in the long term, I'd be saving money. These savings won't be too important if I follow an academic career (philosophy) and thus get paid to study, but I want to keep my doors open: I may decide to spend a few years learning on my own and writing outside the academic form.

This said, I think that whoopie slings + webbing + carabiners should be enough (I couldn't find a website shipping dutch clips to Canada at a reasonable price). I'm concerned that whoopie slings might get stuck because of ice, but since I'll bring my gear inside during the day, it could only freeze overnight, once adjustments are no longer necessary.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Rings,straps & Dutch clips, hard to beat IMO

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dussault View Post
    It was great for my discipline; I did a lot of reading since the library became my living room.
    Doing the reading somewhere else than home works wonders for the study results. No "more important" things to distract.

On topic: how about Marlin spikes, I just got a pair and it seems fairly easy to set up and take down even with gloves.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    OK I'm still some what new to hammock camping but if your going with beaners and are worried about ice build up, couldn't you just put a piece of cloth or something like a mini bishop bag over the beaners to keep the ice off of them? just a thought. oh just make sure they work in extreme cold. you don't want metal fatigue and it snapping in the middle of the night.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Good luck with your plan, Dussault. Maybe when you're a famous philosopher you can write your memoirs: "Down and out in Mont Royal".

Newzy, any particular reason you're suggesting rings? In addition to bulk, I'm thinking that maybe a frost would screw up the friction needed for rings. Dutch Clips would be great if I could find them at a good price.

Good tip about the biners, CrackMunk.

Gra, it'll probably find its way in a novel first: One of my main areas of interest is ethics (the good). As powerful as theory can be, its impact on the broader culture is slow and sometimes get stuck before trickling down to non-theoreticians. Most of us learn better through example than abstraction. A novel allows us to spend intimate moments with another soul, see how they handle various situations, and use their experiences to inspire our own. I want to push theory further, but I also want to use it to create such a novel .

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast