Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Not to make light of any serious medical isse, but that's the sort of feeling I get every time I sleep in my hammock. I thought that was the goal
    I hope my little jest has not offended anyone, if so please accept my apology.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I hope my little jest has not offended anyone, if so please accept my apology.
    Not at all...

I only bring up the issue because I often have nightmares with a parlaysis theme, but only if I sleep on my back. I don't even know that I've ever suffered from this particular condition, but I notice (if I'm on my back) that I will have nightmares in which I dream I am paralyzed and can't react to danger.

In regards to hammocking, it has always made me a little nervous about sleeping on my back. As a result, I sleep on my side, which I prefer anyway.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Back when I slept in a bed I was all over, left right back belly, never very comfortable. Now in the hammock it's mostly back and on occasion that half side position. Slept in a hotel bed last night, first in 3 months+, rephrase that, tried to sleep. The two prior nights were in my new 11' hiking hammock, the best sleep ever.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Interesting. I have this happen a couple times a year. Didnt know it had any diagnosis. I just thought I had pinched a nerve or something. Not had it in a hammock yet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    Curious if this has been an issue for anyone sleeping on their back in a hammock?"
    It's never happened to me when I was sober.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by obxh2o View Post
    It's never happened to me when I was sober.
    The only 2 times this has ever happened to me occured after drinkin' and taking otc pain meds for the hangover. When I told someone about it they said I was dreamin' but it was very much real to me. Since sleeping in the hammock full time now, I have no issues with rest. Before I mostly slept on my stomach but now I'm restfully sleeping on my back and/or side.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am normally a stomach sleeper when it comes to sleeping in a bed. Occasionally I'll roll over in my sleep and find myself on my back.

I must say I have experienced this 2-3 times recently. It is almost as if you are in a dream and for me it is normally precluded by a nightmare. The experience is pretty surreal and the symptoms are pretty much as the description states. You feel a pressure on your body as if you are being pressed on while your arms, legs, and neck lock up. Its pretty weird because you are almost fighting to move with all your strength but there is nothing you can do.

Fortunately, I've only had it happen a few times. Also, it doesn't hurt you in anyway, its just pretty scarey!

I feel as though the slight curve of a hammock won't allow this. I prefer a very firm bed since I am a stomach sleeper and I feel when I roll on my back the stiffness pisses my brain off and occasionally this happens. Its just super freaky if you were having some sort of odd dream as a precursor. I've had ones where I was trying to escape my apartment but the pressure was keeping me from moving and whenever I got near my door I was teleported back to my bed!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I experienced it a couple of times many years ago. If it ever happened to me in the woods, at least I'd know what it was and know it would soon pass.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Wow. I have never heard of this, or felt this. The closest I can imagine was the time I was given some prescription strength sinus meds (cough syrup with codeine I think.) When I feel asleep I blanked out, but do recall that I knew I slept a long time. When I woke up I was in the exact same spot/position as when I had gone to sleep. I hadn't moved a muscle. The problem was that it felt like my blood had turned to jello. It just felt like it had pooled. I didn't have any problem moving, but boy did it feel weird. I am guessing 8 hours without moving will do that to you.

My biggest problem in the hammock has been getting the zipper caught when trying to get out to use the facilities. It has caused a moment or two of panic that's for sure.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    WM down bag, foam
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Whoopie
    Images
    It's not really a medical condition or a problem. It's actually something that happens to just about everyone from time to time. Some are just more aware of it than others. Although frightening, especially when accompanied by a sense of falling or loss of gravity, it is completly harmless, and usually nothing to worry about.

On that note, it happens to me from time to time, but I've yet to experience it in a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast