Hammock
    HH Exped Asym, Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    SuperShelter, Pad
    Images

slept outside last night

I slept outside last night. I woke up at around 5:30 and came inside. My tarp and Warbonnett Traveler has been set up since Friday night. I am going to have to look into some DIY tarp tensioners.

I've slept out in the hammock the last 4 nights. I learned something new each night. The first night, I felt like a banana. But the position was comfortable for me. The thing is, my legs were tired in the morning. Maybe due to less circulation with them being elevated.

The second night, I woke up and found myself sleeping diagonally and I was more level, but still, my legs were tired. Probably because they were elevated.

The third night I found I got cold at just 57 degrees and I was ready to give up the whole hammock thing. I was having a hard time getting the sleeping bag to go higher than my shoulders. And my legs were still tired.

Yesterday, I re-hung the hammock with the end by the feet a little lower than the head end. That solved the problem with the tired legs. I also got a small old afghan and put it under the area from my shoulders to my waist.

And I took a good look at my sleeping bag. Although it is a mummy bag, the zipper is on the side. So I'd been sleeping in it sideways all summer. Between fixing that and the putting the pad under the sleeping bag, I was real warm down to 52. We will see how far down I can go and stay warm. My goal is all winter.

As time goes on, I'll start taking it down each day and putting it up in the evening, experimenting with different kinds of shelter configurations and different hangs. I'd like to be able to hang the hammock in less than a minute and put the shelter up in less than 5 minutes. I also want to learn to put the shelter up first quickly in case it's raining.

I've also been cooking my breakfast outside each morning. I've gotten real good with my Svea 123R stove and cooking in a 2 cup pot. Now I have to get good with it in the dark as the sun is rising later.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The first time I slept in my hammock was last fall. I had made an UQ out of a poncho liner and did not know it's limitations before striking out for a camping trip. The temps dropped into the 40's and I woke shivering. If I had not pitched camp close to my vehicle I would have been in trouble. I had a fleece blanket and fleece clothing in the truck. It was still a cold night, but I survived. If I had not camped close to the vehicle, the only alternative would have been to sit next to a fire all night. So, I have learned the yard is a great place to test gear before going out.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yep yard test the way to go. I'd hate to be figuring thing out after a day of hiking sun setting, tired, hungry, or pressured by a storm...
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gershon View Post
    As time goes on, I'll start taking it down each day and putting it up in the evening, experimenting with different kinds of shelter configurations and different hangs.
    That really is the best way to practice. When I hang in the woods around my house, I force myself to take my hammock down every day and re-hang it either someplace else or even in the same place. It's tempting to leave it up during dry weather when I know I'm going to be right back after work. But I figure it's better to save the hammock fabric from unnecessary UV exposure and stress caused by wind. AND I learn something every time I set up!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I'm lucky. I have a copse of woods behind my yard and I can hang just about whenever I want. I have a fire pit back there and an old bench to sit on. I slept out there last night and it was just great! I, too, play with the gear, tweak this, adjust that, try a new technique, or a new knot, or whatever. It is just good ol' fun!
    And the wife likes to have the whole bed to herself somtimes!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gershon View Post
    I've slept out in the hammock the last 4 nights. I learned something new each night. The first night, I felt like a banana. But the position was comfortable for me. The thing is, my legs were tired in the morning. Maybe due to less circulation with them being elevated.

The second night, I woke up and found myself sleeping diagonally and I was more level, but still, my legs were tired. Probably because they were elevated.

The third night I found I got cold at just 57 degrees and I was ready to give up the whole hammock thing. I was having a hard time getting the sleeping bag to go higher than my shoulders. And my legs were still tired.

Yesterday, I re-hung the hammock with the end by the feet a little lower than the head end. That solved the problem with the tired legs. I also got a small old afghan and put it under the area from my shoulders to my waist.

...I've also been cooking my breakfast outside each morning. I've gotten real good with my Svea 123R stove and cooking in a 2 cup pot. Now I have to get good with it in the dark as the sun is rising later.
    Hey, Gershon_ 1. SVEA 123R=best stove ever made. Works perfect at sea level, at 5000ft, at 11,000ft. (I never got any higher, but I bet it works at 15K, too). I've had mine for almost 35 years and it has NEVER failed.

2. Try putting a pillow or stuff sack with clothes in it under your knees. I have found that something around 15-18" long and maybe 3-4" in diameter is best. That helped my knee issue 100%. Knotty posted about a Montbell inflatable pillow that is the right size.

wife or dogs miss me

I don't think the wife would miss me as much as the dogs would. They wake me every morning for our breakfast on work days, and don't be late with it either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12