Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Thank you kind sir! I was thinking of doing this smaller than the measurements of the slab (apologies for leaving that out) more like 12x12.

Could I follow the plan as you put forth with the exception of using concrete anchors instead of sinking posts?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    12x12 is fine. You won't need the midpoint posts, but doing a 12' span I'd definitely go with the 2x10's for the cross pieces and I would put 4 lag screws in each end (in a zig zag pattern) instead of 3. Since you're not setting in concrete I would also brace the corners (all eight of them).
    Last edited by Timberrr; 09-05-2011 at 21:22.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    2x10 skirts at the feet as well?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    2x10 skirts at the feet as well?
    (using your Scooby Doo voice now...)
    erUnhh?!?

Um... no... You would trip over them.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Lol that's why I asked, I thought that was strange. It was the 8 corner thing that threw me off. Looks like it's time for bed.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I have a tree without a second tree so 14 feet away from the tree I put a PVC pipe in the ground about 30" deep (no concrete) and slide a tight fitting galvanized 10 foot (about 3" diameter IIRC) pipe into it. Works like a charm for the hammock but it does lean slightly when the hammock is loaded. This is no problem for the hammock but the top of the pole leans just enough (an inch or so) that the tarp loosens enough to flap. I usually stake out a 2x2" PT 8 ft "post" to hang the tarp.

The bottom line is I would install the pole or post or sleeve below frost line and at least 36" and, if possible, use some concrete. I also have an end cap for the PVC pipe (to keep rain and snow out of the sleeve) that sits right at ground level so the grass hides it but you can mow over the sleeve. When I put the galvanized pipe in the hole, I set the cap on top of the pipe before I slide the pipe in. That way I know where to find the cap later.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I have a tree without a second tree so 14 feet away from the tree I put a PVC pipe in the ground about 30" deep (no concrete) and slide a tight fitting galvanized 10 foot (about 3" diameter IIRC) pipe into it. Works like a charm for the hammock but it does lean slightly when the hammock is loaded. This is no problem for the hammock but the top of the pole leans just enough (an inch or so) that the tarp loosens enough to flap. I usually stake out a 2x2" PT 8 ft "post" to hang the tarp.

The bottom line is I would install the pole or post or sleeve below frost line and at least 36" and, if possible, use some concrete. I also have an end cap for the PVC pipe (to keep rain and snow out of the sleeve) that sits right at ground level so the grass hides it but you can mow over the sleeve. When I put the galvanized pipe in the hole, I set the cap on top of the pipe before I slide the pipe in. That way I know where to find the cap later.
    Great idea! I thought about this approach, but I don't have anywhere to store the posts when they aren't in use.
    Keeping the cap on the pvc pipe keeps the critters out too.
    Use sacrete down the sides but not underneath - you want it to drain.

Try adding a one foot loop of shock cord to the end of your ridge line. That should be enough to absorb flex of your mounting pipe and keep your tarp taut.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images

My setup with pictures

Stormstaff PMed me regarding my setup described above and I thought I would reply here in case anyone else is interested. Also, thanks to Timberrr for the shock cord suggestion.

I checked the galvanized pipe today when I set the pole up to take photos for this post. It appears to be about 1 1/2 inches OD and is threaded on each end (the threads are not important). They are about $30 (1 1/2" OD) to $40 (2" OD) at Home Depot in a 10 foot length.

Forgive the pictures taken today that have a wasteland of a yard - we had a dry summer followed by the wettest August on record, including 14 inches of rain in the last 12 days... and it's raining now!

Here is the setup in use - unfortunately I can't find summer use photos. Note the pressure treated 2x2 for the tarp at the right edge of the picture. I am using an adjustable ridgeline for the tarp.

Below is the PVC sleeve, with cap, about to go in the ground. The hole for the pipe was pounded in using the pipe laying on the ground and a sledge hammer. This was 2.5 years ago.

Next is the galvanized pipe beside the cap which is covering the sleeve in the ground.

Here is the sleeve with the cap removed. The blue ring on the galvanized pipe is the depth to which the pipe is inserted into the sleeve (so I know if the sleeve is getting filled in).

This is the pipe ready to go in the sleeve.

The pipe in the sleeve. Notice the slight gap between the pipe and sleeve - this may be where the slight movement of the pipe when loading the hammock comes from.

The pipe ready for a hammock. Note the PVC cap atop the pipe so it doesn't get lost.

That's it. Total cost was about $40 for this setup. It has worked well for two and a half years and is easy to "hide". I've done a lot of backyard testing here and may eventually put another pipe in another direction from the tree for use by a second "tester".

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Thanks Jay. I really like that setup. I may need to start pricing up some pipes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12