So I started thinking about making a weather shield for the UQ using IX. Not thinking too far ahead, I didn't use sclittlefield's instructions for making an IX UQ since that was not where I was headed. Probably a mistake now that the project is finished and this thing could have been a multipurpose item.
Here are results. Outer shell of Supplex nylon, MARPAT camo. Inner shell of DWR 1.1 ACU ripstop. 3 layers of IX sandwich. 48" x 92" finished size.
And the real shocker - 2lbs, 2 ozs. Too much IX and supplex!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like this might be a truck camping item only. I'm not sure I want to carry this thing in my pack. But I think I can use it as a UQ and/or TQ in milder conditions. Probably will have to reverse the inner/outer shells in wet weather since the supplex is not treated.
Greyson Highlands Festival Hang will be a good test in late September. Nothing like waiting until you get to the woods to find out your mistakes!