Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG top and under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Can you straighten me out?

Now, don't make fun of me or laugh.
    OK - go ahead if you want.
    I am still a hammock virgin. But, I do want to get my first one this winter before a BWCA trip next spring. As well as have one from now on.
    I do agree - tents are just a pain and I refuse to deal with them anymore.
    I was on the Solo Tripping canoe forum yesterday and read a thread on hammock reviews.
    In one of the reviews, they said the Clark hammocks were alright, but the down side was that you can only sleep on your back, and can not sleep on either side or face.
    Were they just confused or is this so?
    Now, take it easy on me - I didn't say it.
    But from the research I've done, and what I can gather and see, I just really like everything about the Clark NX-150.
    Can I go wrong?
    Would that be a good choice that would give me a few years of worry free service?
    I'm not all that picky.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Many say they can sleep on side,
    but I sleep on my back exclusively, and wonder how anyone could sleep different . . .
    but get the NX 250, as it is longer and wider
    which would give even more room for side sleeping.

The CJH is made with a slightly heavier material
    which logic speaks to a longer life concerning wear or what have you.
    They are well made and will likely give you years of good to great service.
    All-be-it directly related to the care taken.

For many reasons I wouldn't own anything else.

PS. I work in the fire as well . . . Farrier
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You certainly can sleep on your side in pretty well every hammock out there. Stomach sleeping is a bit tougher, but you can get a good partial stomach sleep in many...just depends on finding a comfortable position.

I'm not a Clark aficionado so I'll let some of them field your other questions, but welcome to The Place when it comes to hammocks.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Try a bridge hammock if you are a stomach sleeper. I'm an all over sleeper.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    I am a side sleeper, there I said it and it's out there now and forever. I use the NX-250 and the Hennessy Safari and sleep on my side in both. Anyone that states that you can't is not telling you the truth (see how I did not call anyone a lair). Get your sag right and you will get a good night's sleep or day's nap.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Another NX-250 dedicated user here. I sleep on my side as much or more than I sleep on my back. I can switch sides and switch the direction I lie on the diagonal with absolutely no problem. I also like the fact that you can enter/exit from either side of the Clark. It sure does increase your choices when setting up.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    At home, I am a side/tummy sleeper. But I had 0 problems sleeping in my nx250 on my back. I was also able to curl up on my side into the fetal position. Being able to side sleep depends a lot on how tight/loose you hang the hammock I think.

Also, side sleeping depends on what you are using for warmth. A tight mummy bag is gonna make it hard. An open bag, or top quilt will be easier.

I loved my hammock in my BWCA trip last fall. Super fast setup, even in the rain. Bug shield, no rocky ground!

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG top and under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    OK - thanks, guys. I do believe I'm about to get pushed off the fence on the side of the NX 250.
    Any bad points to it? Is it made from the same materials as the NA?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I suggest trying a few hammocks before buying one. Hammocks are so crazy subjective that selecting one from somebody's review is risky, as everybody is different. Clarks are very well built hammocks and come with plenty of features, which on paper, makes them an excellent choice. I've tried really hard to like them, but they just don't fit me in the comfort department and are on the heavy side for me.

But, as you've seen, some very experienced hangers swear by them. To stay inline with the existing discussion, side-sleeping was the only position I found in Clark hammocks that would allow me to sleep a few hours. Just further demonstration of the subjective nature of hammock comfort since the reviewer said it was a back-only hammock.

If you're like most of us, you'll own at least a couple of hammocks after a little time. If for no other reason, we like to see if the "other guy's" hammock is all that it is cracked-up to be. So my suggestion to you would be to try to find a hang in your area, or a couple of hangers that are willing to have you over for some show and tell. There can be a huge difference between hammocks, even within a brand, so the more you try the better. Clark, in particular, offers a slew of models to choose from.

If you were closer, I'd have you over for hammock-time. I own every commercially available hammock brand...except a Clark. If I were to get a Clark, it would be the Vertex simply for it's novelty. Don't listen to the price-haters out there. Once you add up all the 'extras' included in the Clark rigs, they come out pretty close to the cost of assembling your own personalized system. About the only thing Clarks don't include is the insulation for top and below. The pockets are a neat gimmick, but all but a couple of folks I've read reviews from didn't find them to offer any real insulation value. But that weathershield...ohhh that weathershield, that's a dandy little Clark feature for sure!

Good luck with your quest and remember, we were all hammock virgins before we weren't.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    on the nx250, the pockets provide some good insulation for me, though I've never gone down to below 30 or anything. It makes a huge difference if they are stuffed or not. Shove all your spare clothes, empty pack, etc down there and its lots of trapped air.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast