Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings fom So-Central KY

Name is Mike and I'm glad to find a forum about my newest fascination--that being hammocking. But I do have some concerns that I hope the members here can shed some light on. I'm a fairly limber 6'4", 300# man that loves the outdoors but hates tents. I've never been able to get a decent night's sleep in a tent, especially with a old lower lumbar vertebra injury. I'm thinking a hammock might be a realistic alternative and would love to have the experienced opinion of the brain trust here, or at least some recommendations on where to start.

I would like to tryout an inexpensive but fairly complete hammock system before I commit to investing in a more mainline/quality hammock, such as the Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.7oz that I have my eye on. Something that at least affords bug protection as well as rain protection.

I thank you in advance for your patience and efforts in guiding this noob.

Mike-

Images
    Welcome Mike,
    I am disabled due to failed back surgery. I am in pain every day. I had thought that my camping days were over until I discovered hammocks. I can honestly say that sleeping in my hammock has given me one of the best night's sleep I have had in years.
    I too am anticipating the day I can pick up a WBBB. Until that day, I am using a "no see um no more" by Hammock Bliss. This is a reasonably priced starter hammock and it does have an attached bug net. It is a nice large hammock and very comfortable.
    Here is a good review.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NExUyaEz8cA
    Last edited by hrairoorah; 09-06-2011 at 06:24. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Welcome, Eagleout. I, too, have had back surgery and find it difficult to sleep out in the woods. I usually try to think of it as several sequential naps rather than a good night's sleep. I'm new to hammocking as well, but I'm hoping that hammocking is the answer. I'm heading up to the hang at Grayson Highlands here in a few weeks to check out other people's setups. Might be worth your while to get there and try some things out. You'll definitely find friendly and resourceful folks here at HF to help.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome Mike to the HF from Canada! You've definitely come to the right place.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    eagleout:
    Welcome to HF from Bama.........Like you I am a bigger fella and dislike tents in the woods due to back injuries. I switched over to hammocks two years ago and have not looked back once. I started with a big bang right off the bat and ordered a Clark Jungle Hammock NX-200. It was everything they said it would be and more. They are pricey but all that is needed to sleep in freezing weather with one is a blue camp pad and a 40 degree bag, ask me how I know!!!!!! From there I purchased an ENO DN for the yard, that was quickly taken over by the signifigant other and she now uses it out on the trail, got me another one which my daughter confiscated and now sleeps in instead of her bed. Next I found a good deal on a used WBBB 1.7DL here on HF so I bought it and still use it to this day. Lately I have been playing with the DIY bug, bit me very hard!!! Thanks to my sig's sewing skills and a massive amount of Amsteel laying around we have turned out 4 DIY hammocks in a week and will be working on a DIY Bridge Hammock later this week.

Long story short, if you would like to try out the CJH NX-200 that I have please drop me a PM and we will work something out.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Welcome from Lexington, you're gonna love the hammocking. Like Hrairoorah, 1 herniated and 4 bulging discs keep me off the ground when camping, but the hammock gives me a full nights sleep.

Bigbama said it true, the DIY route is awesome, if you want a fairly quick try to it, the ENO Double would be a good gage for you, available in a couple spots here in Lexington (JH Lanmark, Phillip Gall).
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Mike,

Where you at? I can let you try out my 1.7 dbl Blackbird at a park or something. Keep in mind it is a reverse model. And it is a great sleep no doubt.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Multicam
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Dutch Clip, Hook
    Hi from Ohio, same boat 6'4" 340 (down ten lbs.) and need to loose all that big, heavy ground camp gear. Would go out more if I can shed the weight, both mine and gear. This looks promising.
    Diz*

"adapt, improvise, overcome" Clint Eastwood - Heart brake ridge

Hey, thanks for the many fine welcomes! I appreciate all the great suggestions and I hope to contribute something worthwhile here in the near future.
    Last edited by eagleout; 09-07-2011 at 08:46.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Indiana! and yes the Lowe's tarp will work, but grommets can be weak. I use a Mummy bag unzipped and laid over me like a top quilt. Check out the top and bottom insulation area for some more detailed info. HaPpy Hangin'

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast