Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Exclamation Don't shoot me--I want to buy a...Tent

I am looking for a hammock camper who wants to rid themself of a tent. Specifically, I am looking for a Mountain Hardware KIVA with floor (and pole).

Why do I, an avid hanger, want with a tent?!? Well, first it is not for me. I have a group of scouts who will be going to Philmont Scout Ranch next summer, and the Kiva is a good lightweight choice for this. For the record, Philmont, like Florida state parks, prohibits anything being tied to trees. Respectfully, I am not interested in debating the finer points of this, I just need am seeking a used Kiva.

Thanks for the help.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

good luck. I know you want the KIVA but have you checked out Golites teepee style shelters?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    We don't shoot ground dewellers, that's no fun. We sew them up in a gear hammock and hang them from a tree like a low hanging bear bag. This is much more entertaining.

There really are alot of great light weight tents out there. If you don't find the KIVA I'm sure you can find something that fits the bill.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    good luck. I know you want the KIVA but have you checked out Golites teepee style shelters?
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    ...If you don't find the KIVA I'm sure you can find something that fits the bill.
    Actually I am open to suggestions on others. I fixated on the Kiva because it is a lighweight 4-man tent, so our 4 scouts (who have camped together since elementary school) could easily share the weight.

I found a Kiva on another forum, but it does not have a pole or floor. Unfortunately, another particular Philmont requires that tents have a manufactured floors. As we will be spending a pretty penny on gear for my son, I was looking to save money on a lightweight tent for the gang, allowing for $$$ to be spent on weight savings in other areas.

Any suggestions alternate products are welcome, especially if you want to sell them.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Good Luck on finding something. I also have a crew going to Philmont next year...
    I'm not sure how you are going to spread the load between 4 scout with a 4 man tent. We have Alps Mountaineering Taurus 4 tent and recently used them in the ADK and spread the load between 3 scouts. Not the lightest tent but it worked.
    I have been looking at the LL Bean Microlight 2 tent. weight under 4 lbs. But it's not self standing. The price is great. currently $152 and it come with the LL Bean 100% satisfaction guarantee as all LL Bean item do. They also have the Mountain light 3 tent weighs 6lb 8oz. self standing and currently $223. Both are nice looking tents.

Hopes this helps in some way.... Oh I don't work for LLBean nor am I benefiting form this in any way other than helping out a fellow scouter.
    YIS

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Hard to figure this all out on the MH Kiva, as it is not made anymore. I believe the tent weight is roughly 5 lbs with everything. Just a matter of dividing the 2 pieces (3 with pole) amongst the scouts and balancing a distribution of other crew gear between them. Look at this link to get some great info on hiking Philmont light.
    Doing Philmont Light

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Actually I am open to suggestions...

Unfortunately, another particular Philmont requires that tents have a manufactured floors....

Any suggestions alternate products are welcome, especially if you want to sell them.
    Well that changes the game a little. Does it have to be an OEM floor, or can you DIY something from tyvek? If so then I'd do that and look at the Golite
    Shangri-la series.

I can, I suppose, understand the damage done without a floor, but nature will repair herself if left alone long enough, I promise Next it will be free standing tents only, no staking anything into the ground.

I got 2 of these for the young'uns. They aren't the lightest options, they are however cheap, fairly durable, and multi-functional. These are lighter than the military version because the WPB fabric isn't lined at all and the zippers are #5 not #10 (these are estimates on zipper sizes). But, otherwise, they are the same.

The logistics of dividing a large tent between 4 people gets a little tricky, in my mind. In such case I might consider 2 identical 2 man tents. Making it more like the old army shelter half system; just a thought.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Call Eureka Tent. I think they have special pricing for Scouts and many models to choose from.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    i have a bamboo Shangri la 3 with separate floor and also the nest (floor and bugnet together) -i have never used the floor or nest but thought they might be handy someday but prefer the ground -if you start leaning that way pm me

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images
    No worries. I much prefer a hammock, but I go above treeline quite a bit and resort to the ground..: )

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast