Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer

Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands

Okay HF members. Help me plan a trip. I'll be going to Damascus after the Hot Springs get together because that is where Zak should be around that time. I'm planning on staying out with him about a week to 10 days, and we are wanting to do the highlands and Mt. Rogers area. Give me your suggestions and ideas for this outing. Keep in mind. I'm old and out of shape, but that's a good reason to do this. Did I memtion that I'm old and out of shape???

Also - anywhere to resupply or do we need to be prepared for 10 days. I've checked the web site, but I want first hand knowledge from you guys!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    Okay HF members. Help me plan a trip. I'll be going to Damascus after the Hot Springs get together because that is where Zak should be around that time. I'm planning on staying out with him about a week to 10 days, and we are wanting to do the highlands and Mt. Rogers area. Give me your suggestions and ideas for this outing. Keep in mind. I'm old and out of shape, but that's a good reason to do this. Did I memtion that I'm old and out of shape???

Also - anywhere to resupply or do we need to be prepared for 10 days. I've checked the web site, but I want first hand knowledge from you guys!
    I'm not terribly familiar with the area, but I'll tell ya who here is. Our own mod, Slowhike. Check with him on this. Also, over at WB, check with Rock or Lone Wolf. Either way, good luck, enjoy and stay off the ground! See ya in Hot Springs.

Images
    I don't remember anything too bad north (the wrong way) of there. There is online guides somewhere. There are plenty of resupply options

Hot Springs Dollar General Fantastic
    Damascus Dollar General Fantastic

Troutdale or Troutville, I'm always getting them confused, at Jerry's kicten is 40 ish miles north of damascus. Very limited resupply here. Great food. Enough to get by if needed.

You can order pizza or itailain food at the partnership shelter less than 20 north of that.

Adkins isn't far north of that and is a decent resupply. The barn resturant was good.

Bland is just north of there, didn't go in but was told the IGA there is really hiker friendly.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Last year I did Damascus to Atkns and resupplied at Troutdale. Jerrys Kitchen and Goods had some thing since when I was there, but that was his first year in operation and had recently learned of the AT running near by. I would advise a mail drop there, depending on your pace (its about 50 mi North of Damascus) and possability supplement at the general store, at least thats what I did.

Defiently order pizza at parternship. When I was there the lot of us ordered well over $100.00. I was also great not to have to eat maccroni and cheese.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

If you are really old and really out of shape...

Just park at Elk Garden. Looking across the road, White Top will be at your back and Mount Rogers in front. Best water right there is on the gravel road going to White Top just before you get out of the woods going up. If you want an easy walk from
    Damascus to White Top area, walk the Creeper Trail. Beautiful anywhere in there.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Thanks, sounds like a good plan. Looking at the web site for the park, it looks like there are several good trails. We really don't have a plan at all. I have 10 days, and then call for a ride back to Damascus. Zak is very open to doing some blue blazes, etc. His whole thru has been that way so far! He said it will just be another vacation from his vacation.

Any "must see" areas there? Besides the ponies!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've only traveled the AT in that area from elk garden parking to massi gap (in greyson highlands state park (GHSP)), so i've never dealt w/ resupplies.
    sounds like the others have already told you more about that than i could.

another possibility might be a stash that you hide off the trail, not far from one of the road crossings or you might could leave it at one of the stores that you'll be passing near by on your hike.

do you know the section off trail that you'll be hiking by chance?

it's a beautiful place to hike, but there are some pretty good elevation changes (up & down the mountains<G>), but if you can get Nest to do a "slowhike", you can do it & still not exhaust your self.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    Thanks, sounds like a good plan. Looking at the web site for the park, it looks like there are several good trails. We really don't have a plan at all. I have 10 days, and then call for a ride back to Damascus. Zak is very open to doing some blue blazes, etc. His whole thru has been that way so far! He said it will just be another vacation from his vacation.

Any "must see" areas there? Besides the ponies!
    you'll be way to early for the blue berries, but if you can go back at the end of july or early aug, they are every where!!!

if you hike from massi gap to rhododendron gap (on wilburn ridge) i there are 3 choices of trails...
    1)... horse trail... easiest
    2)... AT... medium but somewhat more scenic
    3)... wilburn ridge trail... hardest... blue blaze trail that goes right up over small boulder peaks that the AT skirts. great panoramic views!

PS... i don't suggest feeding the ponies. they sometimes bite or even kick when you run out of food. we've had that happen to a couple people that i've taken up there in times past.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Thanks, Slowhike. I've heard that about the ponies, but they will be pretty cool to see. I appreciate you giving me the scoop on the different trails. And as far as slowing down Nest - I don't think that's going to be much of a problem! They've been kidding him and telling him his trail name should be slowerhike! Last year he hiked so fast form Springer to Fontana, that the only thing he saw was his feet. This year he is doing it totally different. He actually spent a week in Ashville just because it was a cool place. When he was in Franklin, he stayed several days. The first night in town (because that was the only direction he could hitch a ride), night two at cloud9 and a third day at the blueberry patch. Heck - it took him 3 days just to leave the park. He signed in on 2/29, decided to wait for Cannibal to show up, and didn't leave until 3/2! He's really enjoying meeting different people and taking advantage of the time he has. No commitments until 10/15 when Baxter closes! So, this trip is all avout me! He said he'd see me at camp each night if I couldn't keep up, and he doesn't mind low mile days. More time to nap in his hammock!

Images
    Baxter does not close on the 15th, the park no longer allows overnight camping. You can summit later weather promiting. Plently of places to stealth in the park off the AT if need be.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast