Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    How many days do these hammocks usually take to arrive? I'm itching to try mine while the weather's still somewhat warm.
    I'm not averse to being alone
    If it means I get to keep my mind.
    I'm not averse to losing it all
    If I get to leave it all behind.

--Henry Rollins

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    OK. So who is going to post video of the Night Owl or Lite Owl showing how these drawstring boxes work??
    i only have pictures. when the drawstring is tightened, a pouch area is formed that emulates a foot box and the same at the head end.
    because it is not a foot box you don't have the feeling of your feet being restricted to a smaller area for the comfort zone.

larger "zone", larger comfort...

i hope these will help some.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Flatline- Thanks for the offer, I will see how the month goes. Never been to the Gorge yet... We will do something local in the next few months!

RubberneckLion- I think WL ships on Tuesdays and Fridays. USPS takes around 2-4 days ConUS. They do offer express at an additional cost to cover the difference.

I hope to have a Lite Owl for my trip on the AT in Oct. I going to help Marty with videos on the drawstring and other gear soon!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    FL - I looked at the pics, but I am not seeing how it creates the pouch. I'll wait to see vids from BT and WL.
    I am intrigued. I sold my Hennessy in favor of the BB because the footbox allows my feet to flop naturally. I don't get cramps from the pressure pushing upward through my calves.
    I have, at times, been able to lay my head back over the edge of the hammock body in the BB and into the fabric entrance strip. That really allowed a flatter lay. It seems this system has a similar, but integrally-designed, ability.
    The timing on this is freaky. I just noticed this thread last night. On Wednesday night I was hanging out in the back woods thinking about how I could modify the BB to give me a "head box". I was thinking I could actually sew one into the body of the hammock. But maybe I won't have to do that??

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    FL - I looked at the pics, but I am not seeing how it creates the pouch.
    Heck, I have the Night Owl hammock and when I first hung it up it didn't look like the ' foot box/head box ' was gonna make that big of a difference. Then I got in it and somehow, magically, I understood ! I don't know if a picture or video will do it justice but it is big time comfy. Just sayin.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Questions

Will I be able to use Mamma J & Edge tarp with It? How hard Is setup compared to using adjustable webing on WB? How well does the slug work?

BigRed

Hammock
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Theres is not a protrusion of an actual "box" on the Night Owl. It is a regular cut gathered end type hammock. The "box" or pouch is formed when a section of shock cord is drawn tight and forms a pucker or cupped area in a section of the gunwale or side of the hammock. This is a dream for taller people to help keep your body in while laying asym. Draw the back side tight only and it makes a perfect chair with a high back when sitting in it sideways. Flatline has great pics of all the ways you can hang with the Night Owl.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed77 View Post
    Will I be able to use Mamma J & Edge tarp with It? How hard Is setup compared to using adjustable webing on WB? How well does the slug work?

BigRed
    I have hung under a superfly just fine which is the same size as the BMJ. Not sure about the edge but WL's tadepole is a very small tarp that covers the Night Owl well, im sure it will work. I mainly backpack, so I haven't used a slug tube. Im sure Flatline could answer that one for you. He is proud of that thing!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Edge is a slightly larger tarp than the Tad Pole ( Wilderness Logics tarp ) so it should fit fine. I asked Marty about the fit when I got my Owl he said the Tad Pole would work but the big Daddy tarp ( another WL tarp ) would give more/better coverage. I went with the Tad Pole and I see no coverage problems with it. Site selection is a little more critical with any small tarp. You need to factor in wind direction. Knowing what I know now I'd still get the Tad Pole (which also fits my Hennessy quite well.) I have had 2 different vendors under quilts on the Owl and they fit great also. Set up is easy. I added a fixed ( removable ) ridge line to mine. I do not think it is necessary but adds consistency to my set up. I have changed the foot box setting once and the head box twice. I'm thinking that won't be needed any more now that I'm all moved in to the Owl. Although it is only a matter of the draw cord adjustment which can be done from in the hammock. It is a very open hammock with the best views of any I have been in. I sound like I have an affiliation with Wilderness Logics-I do not. I am however a HUGE fan! Best new piece of gear for me in 2011 (and I buy a lot of stuff-ask my girlfriend. ) edit: The slug is an overgrown bishop bag. I like it. Once you set up all your quilts, bug net, pillow, sleeping gear in it- that's where ya leave it-pull the slug over it all seal up the slug and pack it away in your pack. It's a loose fit so it allows you to get the space use from your pack.. set up is quick-hook to tree pullout to other tree and you are done.
    Last edited by Two Tents; 09-16-2011 at 11:31.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Thanks BigRed

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast