1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Most items I have... some items I dont so doing a video wouldn't serve the purpose of the article....

As far as ugly... Puleeeze
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Nice write-up Raul, although I think SGT Rocks set-up is lighter than the one you listed, here is the thread for reference http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614
    From looking it seems that the major difference is the tarp, there are other minor differences which in the end add up!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Cranky Bear... yes I even referenced Sgt Rock's thread in my article. Major differences is the tarp and straps. His tarp was a DIY if I remember which is why I referenced NON-DIY as far as gear. I aint got dem skillz

Also the NANO 7 specs increased recently to 5oz without the biners.
    Last edited by Raul Perez; 09-09-2011 at 08:46.

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Thanks Cranky Bear... yes I even referenced Sgt Rock's thread in my article. Major differences is the tarp and straps. His tarp was a DIY if I remember which is why I referenced NON-DIY as far as gear. I aint got dem skillz
    Oh yea I saw the reference, well actually the many you have on the blog! But I do believe that one could obtain the same size tarp from Joe at Z-packs and I think that Rock refers to that, but yes you are correct his was DIY and I too wish I had den skillz!
    Just pointin it out, I like the blog a lot, the vids even more, don't get me wrong bro I read the blog posts, but, the vids of you hanging from a tree, common would you really want to read knowin that the vids are more enjoyable???????????
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Oh yea I saw the reference, well actually the many you have on the blog! But I do believe that one could obtain the same size tarp from Joe at Z-packs and I think that Rock refers to that, but yes you are correct his was DIY and I too wish I had den skillz!
    Just pointin it out, I like the blog a lot, the vids even more, don't get me wrong bro I read the blog posts, but, the vids of you hanging from a tree, common would you really want to read knowin that the vids are more enjoyable???????????
    Ha ha yeah true. I love doin a good monkey impression. I've got a few "new" impressions to do on my next outing. Not new for me but new for you guys seeing it.

As far as the gear and what was listed. I was trying to keep it stock with little to no custom orders. Especially for a newb looking to go light the DIY skills and researching to do a custom order might make their head explode!!!!

I think I lost a couple of inches in my researching

And really, nobody lovin the short jokes I'm attacked with on a daily basis?

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Well done Monkey Boy. I forwarded it to some friends of mine who were bragging about their light weight tents. The balked at the price, but then I asked them to add up how much their inflatable sleeping pad and mummy bags cost/weigh when included in their tent weights...that shut them up pretty quick.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Well done write up Raul!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I figured it would all be covered in there - just only have a minute or two here and there to be on my phone at work
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Hey Raul, with the amsteel tree straps, you can place dead sticks about every 8" or so to disperese the weight on the tree. This is a method I learned for te-wa. To much work for me, but it would deffiently disperse the weight, probably better than 1" tree straps.

If the standard phoenix is 15.7oz, then the cuben version should come in about 12oz. My summer phoenix with 5oz of down weighs 8.96, so that means the shell comes in at 3.96oz, which means it weighs 3.74oz less. So I wouldn't change anything since it weighs basically the same,

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for writing this. Enjoyed the read. I have the exact hammock setup and really enjoy sleeping in my Nano. P Smurf bug sock is awesome too! The setup is so light I brIng it everywhere. With this setup i have started down the UL road. I have been able to achieve a base weight of under 10 pounds.

For all the good and light things about the hammock it still worries me a bit because it's fabric is so thin. I don't run the dynaglide through the channel without using some sort of sheathing for fear of ripping the material. I also am very careful about what I am wearing when using the hammock (metal zippers, sharp objects). I would not suggest this as someone's first hammock. Just like any ultralight gear, it has to be treated more carefully than ones made out of heavier more durable fabric. Personally, I only sleep in this hammock. I don't tend to hang out in it or use it as a seat.

Thanks again for writing this I hope more people discover the world of light weight hammocking. For me this rig has changed the way I think about traveling in the woods.

~S~

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast