5x7 Wally World
    Insulation
    baginabag
    Suspension
    depends
    Images

Arctic hammock camping

Quote Originally Posted by Dussault View Post
    I've had a hard time researching this because most references to winter hammocking don't apply to the Canadian winter. If anyone knows of such a thread, please point it to me:

I want to be warm at -22f/-30c temps (preferably higher, but this is the minimum).

I currently have a HH+SS(overcover, undercover, underpad) and will purchase something like a -30c/-22f sleeping bag with wind block, a silk liner for the bag, and a large tarp.

At first, I thought that the underpad covered with a space blanket would be enough for the hammock to be comparable to a tent+pad. Some more research suggests that this is not the case. Now, I'm considering the options, but the KickAssQuilts are rated at +30f, the JRB Winter Nest at 0-10f, the peapod at 20f. I could layer several pads together, but I can't afford trial and error because most of my time is taken up by university.

At this point, I'm wondering if hammocking in this weather is possible, and if I should just go to the ground instead.
    Yes,

We completed OKPIK winter camping BSA instructors class this year for 9 days in January. We were in northern MN about 5 miles from the canadian border. Our first night out there and in hammocks was -26 Farenheit. Our warmest day was +6.3 F degrees. I used a zero degree bag in the hammock on 1 ridgerest pad with another 0 degree bag over the whole kit. Cheaply similar to the Speer Peapod. The key is exercise right before bed, change into dry clothing, cover your head & feet. Do not breath into your sleeping bag, using a hot water Nalgene next to your body core and keeping a candy bar in the bag when you wake up. If you have an active bladder, learn the "pee" bottle method. We are so confident in the cold weather camper system that we are taking a troop back in December 2011.

Sincerely,
    Nelson

PS going to ground is the worst idea possible unless you have a back up quinzee.
    Last edited by nfields260; 09-13-2011 at 17:56. Reason: typo
    40 nights out hammocking 2011...

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by Dussault View Post
    . . . I will sleep naked and so, if my setup proves to be insufficient, I can add in my outside gear (coat, pants, booties) and get extra gear before both hammock + outside insulations combined get too cold.
    I would suggest wearing a high quality long underwear.
    couple of reasons:
    1. getting out in the morning is less of a fear
    What with the cold air violently attacking your skin.
    2. Will make getting into a cold bed to start with easier.
    3. It will just guarantee a warmer sleep.
    4. keeps the bed of your hammock cleaner.

h°pe that helps

opps hick-up
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    A factor that is mostly left out on this sub-zero hanging is using a tarp.

If a closed end tarp is reaching completely to the ground, (snow) and, there is nothing more than a moderate breeze, the inside volume of air will warm slightly, and, provide considerable insulation.

If the hammock itself is also closed off, such as with a HH SS, and a HH over-cover it will remain substantially warm. I have been out to the sub-single digits, and, have never had temperatures go below freezing in my HH. This is with a 5" loft UQ, and a -15 deg bag. And pre-warmed with a Nalgene bottle of boiling water. (ahhhhhhh!!!!!) Carhart long johns, no fleece. In fact, for the first few hours of the evening, I have only been able to sleep with the top bag open down to my waist.

However, upon tearing down in the morning, everything ices up almost instantly with exposure to the ambient temperature. I do use a DIY over-cover which has a layer of 1/4" poly batting, but, I am making another one of poly batting and pre-washed/softened Tyvek. Although ambient humidity is almost nill at these temperatures, condensation on the inside of the hammock space needs to be delt with, and that is not always easy, in fact, I think condensation is the hardest thing to control in cold weather hanging. A digital thermometer/humidity device helps monitor this. The humidity inside the enclosure builds up to 75% after a while with out proper venting.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Great thread!

I swear I am going to winter hang this year...I was all ready to last year and chickened out lol. Going to start in the backyard

I will be trying it with:
    Speer Winter Tarp
    JRB Katahdin TQ
    JRB Mt Rogers UQ
    Molly Mac Hammock Sock

Will see how low that set up will get me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Temps like that there is only 1 thing to keep you comfortably warm...

LAYERS!
    layers, layers
    & more layers.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    Living in Winnipeg I have thought about a winter over night hang
    But here it gets -40•c don't think I wanna play around with that kinda cold
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    As a fellow Canukistan hanger, let me level with you.

Get UQ's, a TQ, and warm clothing.

I have a JrB Winter Nest. I have been good down to -20C, but that isn't the entire picture. You need a great baselayer (wool), great hat (balclava), gloves, and booties (down).

You also will want a wind-break/vapour barrier.

Any 'Winter' TQ & UQ will work good, combining them will help; but paying attention to your baselayer will get you more bang for your buck.
    I wonder what you think about the winter bag vs top quilt issue. There is unused insulation in a bag since it's being compressed, and thus a waste of resources and unnecessary luggage. Also, mobility suffers more in a bag than in-between quilts (and I move a lot in my sleep). I've also read about sweat problems. There is, however, the advantage of a tight seal around the body so that I do not get cold drafts when I move around. Drafts are not a big issue within a certain temperature range, but below -15c I would think that it might become a problem. Then again, I like to sleep with the window open, even in the winter.

Images

Fellow Canadian :)

You may want to read this: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=36311&page=7

That I posted. I have found unzipping the sleeping bag and using it as a top quilt works best for me and I'm fairly active sleeper. Its plenty of insulation and it sort of puffs up as its much wider than the hammock so it always stays more or less "sealed" to the sides.

Also the Sleeping bags I mention are a relatively inexpensive way to get a down "quilt".
    Last edited by Rapt; 09-19-2011 at 09:39. Reason: Hit enter too soon. LOL
    So many projects, So little time....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12