First splicing attempts. Please critique my work. :)

I tried posting this on the suspension forum but I think it belongs here...

I have been doing a lot of reading and learning here.

I have had a Skeeter Beeter since last Christmas but due to finances I was unable to keep getting the gear needed to use it.

I recently got a pair of whoppie slings and tree huggers from AHE. I also got 25' of 7/64" amsteel. I rigged up a way to hang my hammock in my garage.

I want to say a huge thanks to opie, before ordering the extra amsteel I read probably all of your splice tutorials. You really made my learning possible.

For days I played with the hammock without anyway to set the sag. After more reading here I made my own adjustable SRL.

I basically wanted a large whoppie sling. I followed several tutorials here and my first splicing attempt went well.

After that I wanted to add a quick release method to add and remove the SRL. I read a variety of posts on soft shackles, nano shackles, and a bunch more name I can't remember. What I came up with was 24" with a loop in the middle, then 2" on each side, then a locked brommel (sp), followed by a 4" bury, then another locked brommel, followed by a diamond knot, then I buried the tail into one tail.

I use this connected to the hammock whoopie by a larkshead, the larkshead is within the buried section of the shackle.

Is this a suitable way to set this up? Is my shackle being used properly? Would it be best to have the diamond knot up or down? Will the larkshead within the bury be an issue?

While I was at it I added a few more mods, a combination of problem child and grizzlyadams mods to add a ridgeline. I wanted the outside adjust ability with my whoopie plus the net being mostly held high. The two center spots were done exactly as the two other members did it. I then added two loops that the SRL go through. Those were simply cordura with grossgain under it and sandwiched in the hammock.

The whole setup

How does it look? Knots/splice ok?

Thanks to the awesome members here and their willingness to share with new members like me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    I back-spliced my loose end so it wouldn't unravel. I also use a continuous loop to larkshead to the hammock, and use the soft shackle to connect that to the suspension. I like your way better
    Last edited by jred; 09-09-2011 at 18:59. Reason: I didn't "back-slice" it :P

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmitchell View Post
    I tried posting this on the suspension forum but I think it belongs here...

After that I wanted to add a quick release method to add and remove the SRL. I read a variety of posts on soft shackles, nano shackles, and a bunch more name I can't remember. What I came up with was 24" with a loop in the middle, then 2" on each side, then a locked brommel (sp), followed by a 4" bury, then another locked brommel, followed by a diamond knot, then I buried the tail into one tail.

I use this connected to the hammock whoopie by a larkshead, the larkshead is within the buried section of the shackle.

Is this a suitable way to set this up? Is my shackle being used properly? Would it be best to have the diamond knot up or down? Will the larkshead within the bury be an issue?
    I've made soft shackles in a related way
    1. loop in the middle, as you've done
    2. two inches to allow the loop to open
    3. locked brummel
    3. diamond knot a ways down towards the other end
    4. finished ends on diamond knot.

The key difference between this and what you have is that I've got two strands between the loop and the diamond knot. For your application, one strand, as you've done, is tidier.

I don't see any issues with the lark's head over that bury. Strengthwise there isn't any difference which direction your diamond knot is oriented.
    I'd say you're good to go.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker Single
    Tarp
    Integ Desig Poncho
    Insulation
    TQ:goLite20 UQ:tbd
    Suspension
    KvlarStrp n MuleTp
    Images
    Curious what you did @gmitchell... can't see the photos.
    ~Cnugget

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nugget View Post
    Curious what you did @gmitchell... can't see the photos.

Its a four year old thread..?

He ended up buying from Dutch.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker Single
    Tarp
    Integ Desig Poncho
    Insulation
    TQ:goLite20 UQ:tbd
    Suspension
    KvlarStrp n MuleTp
    Images
    Ah! Dang nabbit... got suckered by an old post. @gargoyle thanks for the heads up.. still curious though... without pics it's all gibberish to me.
    ~Cnugget

• + New Posts