ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

First Hammocking Overnight

Hey all,

I've been accumulating gear for a while. As a student, I try to be relatively frugal and look for the best deal so amassing my gear load out has taken me a little while. Here is what I am looking at right now. Let me know if I am missing anything for my first hammock adventure on an overnight

Pack: Kelty Courser (says 40L, i think its larger - great size that doesnt permit me to overpack)
    Insulation: Pad (foam) + Synthetic Bag (Vaude Sioux 900 30 deg)
    Hammock: ENO Double + Whoopies + Tree Straps
    Tarp: DIY Sil nylon 9x5 (nice and compact)

Those are the basics, I am pretty sure I have all the other stuff down. Let me know if you think I am in OK shape for just an overnight.

I live in Harrisburg, PA. I noticed there are a lot of other guys around here from the area. Can anyone recommend any good spots where I don't have to hike TOO far in? Just in case something goes wrong....

Here are my thoughts:
    Peters Mtn Shelter / Table Rock/ Hawk Rock/ Sneak into Big Boyd from Hocker Park on Blue Mountain/ Clarks Ferry Shelter/ Get a campsite at Pinchot (boring)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting out there!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like you're about ready.
    Check the weather so you're taking the right clothes.
    Don't forget some chow!
    And post a few pix when you get back.
    Good luck!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Pad & BigAgnes Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Hey all,

I've been accumulating gear for a while. As a student, I try to be relatively frugal and look for the best deal so amassing my gear load out has taken me a little while. Here is what I am looking at right now. Let me know if I am missing anything for my first hammock adventure on an overnight

Pack: Kelty Courser (says 40L, i think its larger - great size that doesnt permit me to overpack)
    Insulation: Pad (foam) + Synthetic Bag (Vaude Sioux 900 30 deg)
    Hammock: ENO Double + Whoopies + Tree Straps
    Tarp: DIY Sil nylon 9x5 (nice and compact)

Those are the basics, I am pretty sure I have all the other stuff down. Let me know if you think I am in OK shape for just an overnight.

I live in Harrisburg, PA. I noticed there are a lot of other guys around here from the area. Can anyone recommend any good spots where I don't have to hike TOO far in? Just in case something goes wrong....

Here are my thoughts:
    Peters Mtn Shelter / Table Rock/ Hawk Rock/ Sneak into Big Boyd from Hocker Park on Blue Mountain/ Clarks Ferry Shelter/ Get a campsite at Pinchot (boring)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting out there!
    I am right where you are almost ready to head out for my first over night hang. let us know how it goes

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Are you planning on setting up you tarp as a diamond? I ask because it seems small to set it up with 9' ridgeline and 2.5 feet on either side of the ridgeline.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Its an asym, Ive set it up before it get pretty good coverage as long as I do not put it high up

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Is this your first night in the hammock or have you been out before, maybe in the backyard? How about a pillow, or something to stuff into a pillow shape? I have an inflatable pillow I like to use. It's all preference, but if this is your first hang, you might want to bring something just in case. Maybe a stuff sack you can put your extra clothes in to simulate a pillow.

How about all of the other camping supplies? You need to cook, how about a can opener, start a campfire, cut anything? Or is this just hammock related?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Is this your first night in the hammock or have you been out before, maybe in the backyard? How about a pillow, or something to stuff into a pillow shape? I have an inflatable pillow I like to use. It's all preference, but if this is your first hang, you might want to bring something just in case. Maybe a stuff sack you can put your extra clothes in to simulate a pillow.

How about all of the other camping supplies? You need to cook, how about a can opener, start a campfire, cut anything? Or is this just hammock related?
    I left out the other stuff...but I'll tell you about what I have

Cookset: Optimus Terra 1L set (pan/1Lpot) + alcohol stove + spork + windscreen
    Fire: light my fire fire starter (rod/steel) + lighter + lint
    Headlamp: Princeton Tec Fuel
    Survival: Kabar Combat Knife in Foliage Green / Swiss Army Cadet -- I am getting a RAT 1 Folder / CRKT M16, they are in the mail. My Gf gets to pick which one she wants and I get the other - I like to collect knives somewhat. Haha.
    Toiletries: TP + travel toothbrush + hand sanitizer + camp soap (got this cool kind that comes in mini sheets) + floss (multipurpose!)
    Fist Aid Kid: That kind of stuff...
    Food Bag / Bear Bag
    CamelBak 3L / Random 1L water bottles
    Water Treatment: Potable Tablets
    Brunton Lensatic Compass / Map
    Raingear: TNF Venture
    Cold Gear: EMS Polartec 300 vest

I think thats everything, I am sure I am leaving out a few of my smaller items. Do you guys have anything I should add?

Here is the deal. This would be my very first night out all together. I do not have a back yard because I live in an apartment complex. There is an apartment owned park behind me which has a wooded area with a path through it. I could set up there but I don't know if that makes me a weirdo/creeper. The areas I mentioned are around where I live and I have hiked to them before, just never stayed over night. The gf is a little concerned with the situation since its my first night out and I would be alone. What do you guys suggest?

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Looks to me like you have a good set of gear. I have one other item that I like to take out when I am venturing off the beaten path. A Spot satellite locator. It puts the family at ease. That might not be in your budget though, but I wouldn't leave home without it at this point. I am sure there are other threads on here about them.

Don't forget something like a bandanna to help filter the particulates out of your water if you are scooping it up to refill your bottles (since you mention water tablets).

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    There is an apartment owned park behind me which has a wooded area with a path through it. I could set up there but I don't know if that makes me a weirdo/creeper. The areas I mentioned are around where I live and I have hiked to them before, just never stayed over night. The gf is a little concerned with the situation since its my first night out and I would be alone. What do you guys suggest?
    sleeping in a park makes people think you're a bum, not a hiker.

Go to the places you usually hike and find a spot off the trail. You could go there before and mark it on a map and give to your girlfriend.

The really dangerous creatures are busy in the city during the night, they don't roam the woods trying to find lone hikers.

good luck!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have two bandanas ready to go

I guess I'll have to pick a spot nearby. Maybe some of the Harrisburg hangers know of some good spots where I am not too far in. Nonetheless, I think I have a few in mind. I am really looking forward to trying out this bag because I am not sure how accurate the temperature rating is. I bought it on sale and the brand is one I am not familiar with.

I'll need to figure out the meal situation! I have a ton of ramen lying around and some tuna packets. Also, I have some Mountain House breakfast meals and some Japanese Udon noodles. Will have to think of some more easy ones to try out!!

What do you guys bring as far as spare clothes are concerned? I have convertible hiking pants, wool socks, and a breathable synthetic shirt that I normally hike in. I was thinking about bringing along a spare pare of cotton socks (this ok?) to sleep in, my long underwear (probably wont need), gym shorts, and maybe a t-shirt to sleep in. I don't want to get in the habit of overdoing it on the clothes since I am trying to remain as light as possible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast