Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Eat more Potassium products,,banannas,,water mellon,,and salt. I still get them and they suck! lol
    This... you have low electrolytes, especially potassium. I pack some with me... you can get them in supplement form.

You can sweat these out so it's helpful to bring some with you.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

cramps

This cramping happens to me all the time, early in the cycling season, as well as hiking, and diminishes as the season's activities increase.

A good solution:
    Potassium: 1/4 teaspoon per quart of water after exercise stops. BEST source? Morton, or any LITE salt substitute, just read the label. Morton's is pretty high.

Water: LOTS OF IT, the sooner the better. And drink a lot during exertion, a big help.

Calcium: either supplement tables, or antacid OTC medications: Rolaids, Tums, etc.

And salty foods, chips snacks etc. The more sodium, the better.

Flush out those lactic acids. It's exertion, your muscles are not accustomed to it.

And, your sleep will be less interrupted by needing to get up and go during the night.

I also add a 1/4 teaspoon of kitchen baking soda to a quart of water for long cycling rides in the summer to mitigate lactic acid build up in the blood stream, and it has seemed to help a lot.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    A few years ago at wife's constant shall we say persuasion, I went to the heart doctor. They said my heart was in larger from years of high blood pressure. Medications and sodium free diet was prescribed. In time I would wake every morning with extreme leg cramps. After trying potassium and a few other things, I added salt back to my diet and the cramps stopped.

I think cramps are just our body's way of saying something is out of kilt. It's up to the individual to figure out what.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    As much as I love how compact my Byers is (and love how the strings allow it to spread better than most gathered end hammocks), I found that the fabric stretches waaaay too much.

I'm short and my Switchback is long. On the INSIDE zipper pulls I have added neon orange guy line string with a large bead. This enables me to find and reach the zipper pulls easily.

For paddlers: I also tie a thicker cord and larger (wooden) bead on my dry bags so I can pull them out of the hatches easily. I have short arms! Insert bag, leaving the line and bead extended within easy reach.

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu Trekking
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Dried apricots

Apricots contain a lot of potassium too - dried ones make a tasty snack and are easily stored and transported.

Although as others have pointed out, a little salt and a lot of water are often sufficient to cure cramps on their own. We tend to think of salt as bad for us and forget how previous generations valued it or how soldiers in desert environments were (are?) issued salt pills.

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu Trekking
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I also add a 1/4 teaspoon of kitchen baking soda to a quart of water for long cycling rides in the summer to mitigate lactic acid build up in the blood stream, and it has seemed to help a lot.
    Well it's a good idea because the electrolytes are more balanced osmotically but I doubt it's mitigating lactic acid in the blood stream, blood pH is quite tightly controlled by the body - mainly through carbonic acid and respiration rates.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by trewornan View Post
    Apricots contain a lot of potassium too - dried ones make a tasty snack and are easily stored and transported.
    Just make sure you limit the amount of dried apricots you eat or you'll be darting out of your hammock at a very inconvenient time and nothing on the planet will stop you.

The pain comparison to giving birth made me think of the pain of passing a kidney stone, which I am told is on par with childbirth except for the sharp edges and size of the orifice.

My sympathies to you and thanks for having "the stones" to bring some humor to an agonizing situation.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 41 and that happen to me this pass spring for the first time ever on a backpacking trip, It sucked! Has happened now three more times at home doing the same thing just stretching my legs out in bed. Man i'm getting old quick.

Hammock
    Gathered end DIY
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Woopies
    Images
    I feel ya. I get leg cramps occasionally and they're extremely painful and I'm sore for a few days. So far never in the hammock. I do get a mild foot/toe cramp almost every time though. I figured since my legs were slightly elevated the muscles in my feet might be somewhat dehydrated causing the cramps. But this is purely speculation.
    Last edited by Roots Guy; 02-13-2014 at 17:33.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Thought it as strange when I first heard about it but try pinching your lip (see link). Squeeze just as hard as you can

http://healing.about.com/od/homereme...leg-cramps.htm

It works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast