Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    wait did you say it gets warmer at night? you said " Typical temps will range between 8*F to about 30's at night"...

good luck, but im a nice warm southern boy
    +1 w/ Rev!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I would strongly suggest a hammock such as the Clark NX 250 for conditions such as you describe. Even if your tarp stakes were uprooted or the tarp was damaged you'd probably be good to go in a heavy snow with the weather shield fully zipped.

I slept in 11 degree temps in a mild snow and heavy winds last year in the Adirondacks. Lots of snow swirled up under the tarp due to winds but I remained toasty/dry inside the hammock with the shield zipped up. I had a synthetic UQ and a light thermarest as insulation. You could easily get away with just an UQ if it was rated for those temps although in those conditions a good pad is great to have in case the UQ got wet.

IMO you can't beat a Clark for winter camping. It's truly a four season hammock. It's my go to hammock in the winter.

Hope that helps, Miguel

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    This was what first came to mind when I saw the titanium pack stoves a couple of days ago..... ;-) I think I would do a custom vestibule for the stove. Maybe add a second tarp to let me go into more of a porch mode.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Sidewinder- I can see the appeal. Heading down the backside on a long run- hammocking up for the night and then back to civilization in the morning. There
    are several links on how to hammock in cold weather which many people do successfully...I thing the major item is how the weight/bulk of your pack with all the cold weather gear might cramp your boarding style...I park my backpacking gear when the white stuff is around and strap on the sticks and hit the slopes! Have fun and be safe!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Wow guys, all really good advice. Thanks so much, I think the idea of going with a few people would be wise. Watching those videos of Turk and Shug made me realize that you need a lot of gear to do this in the winter. You guys are hardcore! Right now I think this idea of mine is beyond my capabilities and equipment.

I think it going to take me a few seasons to buy all that stuff. Also, the snowmobile idea sounds awesome. This is going to get expensive fast! In the mean time I think I will try to find some folks crazy enough to attempt this.

Now. How am I going to find hammockers to snowboard/ski with in the backcountry in the Lake Tahoe area in the Sierra Nevadas? Any takers? Might be easier to find some snowboarders and turn them on to hammocking...hmmm..

~S~

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Wow guys, all really good advice. Thanks so much, I think the idea of going with a few people would be wise. Watching those videos of Turk and Shug made me realize that you need a lot of gear to do this in the winter. You guys are hardcore! Right now I think this idea of mine is beyond my capabilities and equipment.

I think it going to take me a few seasons to buy all that stuff. Also, the snowmobile idea sounds awesome. This is going to get expensive fast! In the mean time I think I will try to find some folks crazy enough to attempt this.

Now. How am I going to find hammockers to snowboard/ski with in the backcountry in the Lake Tahoe area in the Sierra Nevadas? Any takers? Might be easier to find some snowboarders and turn them on to hammocking...hmmm..

~S~
    Just remember.....a piece of gear and a technique at a time. Enjoy getting to know a new kind of camping.
    Whoooooo Buddy!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock
    Byer of Maine
    Tarp
    5x7 Wally World
    Insulation
    baginabag
    Suspension
    depends
    Images

I learned everything from Shug!

I have this fantasy of combining my 2 favorite activities but honestly have no idea if I can pull it off without significant risk. I love to hammock and I love to snowboard deep powder. My idea is to go to the mountains find a spot I can ride and set up a base camp. Typical temps will range between 8*F to about 30's at night. Wind chill could be significant and the snow fall can be up to several feet over night. Has anyone hammocked in conditions like this or am I crazy to even ponder this?

If you have braved these conditions how did you deal with the snow levels/amounts and the wind. In the middle of a big storm what was your biggest concern? What were your contingency plans if you experienced gear failure? Any words of wisdom or tips on how to prepare for this?

Thanks,

~S~

I learned everything from Shug and applied it to Northern Tier High Adventure Base for 9 days this past January! -26 F for the lowest low and +6.3 for the highest temp....and in a hammock!
    40 nights out hammocking 2011...

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nfields260 View Post
    I learned everything from Shug and applied it to Northern Tier High Adventure Base for 9 days this past January! -26 F for the lowest low and +6.3 for the highest temp....and in a hammock!
    Way to go!!! Hope I was an apt teacher.....dread the thought.
    Love the DHT in your avatar)))))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Good in the Backwood Hood.

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

~S~
    I would imagine that there are back country skiers in your area and most likely they have small shacks or domes in the high country to eat and sleep in. You probably don't need to buy a snowmobile yourself but hook up with like minded back country snow boarders who are already doing it and just set your hammock up beside the shelter. Also there are probably parks cabins that you can register a certain amount of time for and once your there same thing, set up you hammock. Like Shug said " a step at a time",,, there's no rush.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com