Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you can check Wakely Dam it will shorten my loop by several hours. From the map and some of what I read I wonder if there are good sites not very far past the gate at that end. That might make it feasible for a few folks to park at the dam and walk or get a ride in. It would also be interesting if there is cell phone coverage.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    If you can check Wakely Dam it will shorten my loop by several hours. From the map and some of what I read I wonder if there are good sites not very far past the gate at that end. That might make it feasible for a few folks to park at the dam and walk or get a ride in. It would also be interesting if there is cell phone coverage.
    I was here a couple of weeks ago and they were doing a lot of work to grade the road to the campsites on the other side of the dam. It looked like they were closed. Still, if I get that far north I will check it out.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    From what I found on the web there is a contract to repair Wakely Dam. That is probably why the equipment is there. If so it we can probably forget the area around there this year.
    The Moose R Plains road was closed until Jul 28 this year due to flood damage in the spring. I wonder what happened with the recent mess. I'll stick my nose in from the W end and see what I can find out.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I have maps of the daks but not sure where your talking about exp. Moose river area. But I'm a go where ever you all decide. the only place I know of is Goose pond in the Pharaoh wilderness preserve. and that is just under a mile hike if your car can make it to the trail head, 2 mi if not. but this in in NE of NY so way out of the way for W NYers.
    I have a 4x4, what if we do a shutle from the lot to the site if you have to have chains or a 4x4 in Moose. as far as hunters I can ask a few friends at work just how bad it is he hunts up at Limekill from time to time.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackMunk View Post
    I have maps of the daks but not sure where your talking about exp. Moose river area. But I'm a go where ever you all decide. the only place I know of is Goose pond in the Pharaoh wilderness preserve. and that is just under a mile hike if your car can make it to the trail head, 2 mi if not. but this in in NE of NY so way out of the way for W NYers.
    I have a 4x4, what if we do a shutle from the lot to the site if you have to have chains or a 4x4 in Moose. as far as hunters I can ask a few friends at work just how bad it is he hunts up at Limekill from time to time.
    Guess I better explain, besides I need to leave an itinerary at home. This should let anybody interested figure out where I am looking. If I hit a hot spot I will dump pics today. If not then when I get sorted out tomorrow.

Right now I'm going in on 28 with a turn off to check North Lake. The road goes in from Forestport. Turn off RT 28 at the Buffalo Head Inn.

Cascade and Moss lakes off the Big Moose Rd out of Eagle Bay.

After that Browns Tract Rd looks interesting. It runs between Eagle Bay and Raquette L. Not sure what is there but it runs through a lot of park land.

Maple Lodge Rd N of Blue Mountain Lake and another dead end on state land.

Cascade Pond Trail head. - Off a side Rd off Durant Rd out of Blue Mountain Lake.

Back to Eagle Bay - in to Moose River Rd from the Limekiln L end. Look around there a bit as most of the sites seem to be at that end.

May camp on MR rd or head home.

Then up to Cedar River Rd back into Wakely Dam. Not sure which way after that depending on whether I hit the chain thing then as I don't have them yet.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    slight change of plans. I'm still sorting out at home so I'm going to do the trip tomorrow. By then I will have gear sorted and the truck packed. The good thing about retirement is I have no schedule. OTOH I'm not wondering what to do with my time! ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    I envy you and your retirement. As for me I'm still in the process of moving and have no time to go into the "piney woods", as yet. So when all is said and done I will probably be ready for the trip.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    what are the dates we are looking at? did we lock it down? I'm good any weekend but the 22-23. Have to go to Mass for a Family thing.

And I want to say thank you to the ones that have been doing all the foot work for this.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I thought we were talking the week before that, Sat Oct 15 plus whatever either side.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Pics later, here is what I found:

North Lake, Atwell NY

~15 mi in from Rt 28 at Forestport. N Lake rd runs around the NW side of the lake as a not for low clearance gravel rd. Sites are either on points where there is room to park a car and tent or across the road into the woods.

Sites 7 and 8 share a privy and there is a large clearing behind them off 7.

site 10 - room to spread out

site 14 room but a long way in on bad rd.

Eagle Bay - Big Moose Rd
    Cascade L - camping other end of the lake per hiker I talked to.

Moss L - parking area off the road, numbered sites. checked #1 on a high point with privy. Lots of trees but spacing is an issue.

Blue Mountain Lake

Off Durant Rd - Cascade Pond trail head.
    Big site at the end of the gravel rd some body was camped there but it looked like one could spread out into the woods. lots of room.

Cascade Pond trailhead - hiked in looking for clearing. Nothing but bad trail as far as I went. Found Privy and big clearing across the rd from the trail on the way out. Looks like it would work. Parking may be an issue.

I thought North lake had the best quiet and remote options but will try anywhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast