Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images

bug net help?

I have some bug netting that came off of a patio gazebo we had on our back deck. I was going to use this to make a bug net with, I'm not very good at sewing I don't really want zipper or velcro closures. I was thinking of making it like a hammock sock to where I can just slide it down when not in use and pull it over me when in hammock and secure the ends with cord locks.
    The question is how long and wide should I make it? I have a hammock that is pretty much like a Treklight or Eno. It is 10' long by 60" wide. Also I do not have a ridgeline, so any ideas you can give will be greatly appreciated.
    Chris

Images
    I just made a bugnet that was the same design as you are describing. I used Jeff's hammock sock as a template, and modified it a bit. ( http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html ) My bugnet was made by sewing a tube from two 60" peices and cutting the tapering end just like the sock, but because I used these wide peices the net is too big. I am going to take fabric out of the bottom which should save a few ounces. Also, by making the large open end smaller I won't have to draw up so much of the cord to close the end.

By the way, the net I made came out to 11 ounces. I was hoping for less. Because I made a huge sock out of it, I will be basically sewing seams, then cutting out the extra fabric. You could achieve less weight by planning ahead and creating a design that is more compatable to the shape of the hammock. But, trying to do so made my head spin, and I decided on the former, less complicated approach.

Also, I am thinking about using the extra netting I have to make a 1/4 bugnet that I would suspend from the ridgeline for times when I will be using a quilt and underquilt anyway. I am interested to hear what others have to say.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Thanks I wil have to check out jeff's sock design and probably go from there.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I've been thinking of bugnetting for a little while, my first hammock I just had the netting sewn to one side and it flopped over my ridgeline... kinda ghetto. My next setup is going to be like Mirage's net of Jeff's site, I was wondering if you had seen that and what you thought of it
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    well just an update on my netting. I was working on it today. I had to sew to separate parts together, the pieces were 72"L x 48"W.started to sew both sections together and got a little frustrated so I stopped while I was ahead before I broke the sewing machine I was using(my moms). should have it done in the next couple of weeks, whenever I get back over to her house. She offered to let me bring it home, but with getting all frustated there I figured it would be best to leave at her house.
    Chris

Images
    On the socks I think having 2 pieces for the length helps to hold it open. Too me it does the same thing as putting in a seperat spacer bottom like Risk does.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts