DIY, Hammock Bliss, WBBB for Mrs.
    Tarp
    Superfly and DIY
    Insulation
    Mt WA 3, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Talking Mt. Washington

Wow guys n gals! I ordered my JRB Mt. Washington under quilt on monday...got it on thursday. Due to my lack of patience with all this new hammockin' stuff, I decided to take the family to the Sierras for an overnight (aka, Daddy wants to play with his new toys). The weather forecast called for t-storms during the night and temps down to the mid 40's. Well, the storms came, wind blew, but the rain stayed away. I woke up at about 4am with my shirt just soaked in sweat (just a t-shirt,pj's and blanket to sleep in). Talk about a warm quilt. This is definitely a possitive result due to my inability to hand cold weather very well. It was great!!! I think the newb factor came through too as it was my first real night in a hammock and a quilt; I don't count the many nights prototyping in the driveway JRB makes such a high quality product! I showed the quilt to my Dad the next morning on the way down the hill, and now he's gonna buy a top quilt and ditch the sleeping bag. Thanks Jacks for such a sweet quilt! Now that I have a way to stay warm at night, I'm even more excited about backpacking again. Indeed...Jacks R Better!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did you get the Mount Washington 3 or 4? The MW4 is their winter quite and it's rated down to 0-10F. So I could see how you would wake up soaked in sweat with temps in the 40s.

Of course, you do know the rule about providing pictures of new gear right?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and DIY
    Insulation
    Mt WA 3, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Brian,

Thank you very much for the picture rule update, I had no idea. So...I went out today to the park down the road and took some pics and vids (working on the latter to give a better overview).

The quilt is a Mt. Washington 3. If I had the 4, I'm sure I would have lost 5lbs of water through sweat But, being too warm is much better than the alternative. Unfortunately, I had to turn an overnight hike into a day trip due to being way to cold prior to getting the quilt. I think the Mt. Washington 3 should be great for the Thanksgiving weekend trip we're gonna do.

Thanks for checking in!

P.S. Pic quality is poor, photoshop was not liking me today. Will fix...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.

JRB Quilts

I hear you Sweetspot!

I’ve got four JRB quilts and love’em to bits!

For summer:
    Sierra Stealth (top)
    Shenandoah (bottom)

For winter:
    Sierra Sniveller (top)
    Mt Washington 3 Convertible (bottom)

The two quilts (2 summer and 2 winter) work well together. If you look after them and I mean REALLY look after them, they will last for 30 or more years. Keep your Mt W 3 clean and sweat free.

With a sleeping bag people use sleeping bag liners. What I do with my quilts is wear thermal underwear – much more comfy and less restrictive. Think of them as wearable sleeping bag liners (not to mention hammock protectors). Silk top and bottoms that I got from www.theunderwearguys.com for summer use and standard thermal underwear I got from a local camping store for winter use. Thick socks in the winter and thin socks in the summer.

Also, and importantly, I wear a Balacalava that I also got from The Underwear Guys. The Balacalava does two things, it keeps your top quilt, pillow and hammock clean and it keeps your head warm, which is VERY important. You can have the warmest quilt in the world, but if your head gets cold you will keep waking up. I’ve also got a JRB Down Hood, which I keep on the shelf of my WBBB hammock, just in case I wake up with a cold numb kind of pain on the top of my head – put it on, problem solved, back to sleep.

Now, the thinking is that if I am covered from head to toe, I won’t get my quilts as dirty and or oily. I think wearing normal cloths reduces the comfort level of the hammock.

A shower, or at least a wash of some kind, will help keep your quilt and hammock clean and it will also help you sleep better. Pocket showers work well.

The cleaner you keep your quilts, the less you have to wash them. The less you wash them, the longer they last.

Finally, I’ve got a DriDucks™ Poncho with JRB Weather Shield Mod Kit. It adds warmth and it protects the quilt from wind, rain or dust.

All the best Sweetspot!

Bruciehi5

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Buciehi5:

Excellent points about care of quilts and bags, and especially down-filled ones.
    To summarize: Wear something else, lightweight or otherwise, in your bag or under your quilt -- and make that to the top of your head -- so, body oils and sweat, including scalp oils -- won't get into the garments.The quilts will last much longer and with less care.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.

I wish your post appeared elsewhere. Except it might cause the re-sale value of some quilts to drop.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and DIY
    Insulation
    Mt WA 3, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    I hear you Sweetspot!

I’ve got four JRB quilts and love’em to bits!

With a sleeping bag people use sleeping bag liners. What I do with my quilts is wear thermal underwear – much more comfy and less restrictive. Think of them as wearable sleeping bag liners (not to mention hammock protectors). Silk top and bottoms that I got from www.theunderwearguys.com for summer use and standard thermal underwear I got from a local camping store for winter use. Thick socks in the winter and thin socks in the summer.

Also, and importantly, I wear a Balacalava that I also got from The Underwear Guys. The Balacalava does two things, it keeps your top quilt, pillow and hammock clean and it keeps your head warm, which is VERY important. You can have the warmest quilt in the world, but if your head gets cold you will keep waking up. I’ve also got a JRB Down Hood, which I keep on the shelf of my WBBB hammock, just in case I wake up with a cold numb kind of pain on the top of my head – put it on, problem solved, back to sleep.

Now, the thinking is that if I am covered from head to toe, I won’t get my quilts as dirty and or oily. I think wearing normal cloths reduces the comfort level of the hammock.

A shower, or at least a wash of some kind, will help keep your quilt and hammock clean and it will also help you sleep better. Pocket showers work well.

The cleaner you keep your quilts, the less you have to wash them. The less you wash them, the longer they last.

Finally, I’ve got a DriDucks™ Poncho with JRB Weather Shield Mod Kit. It adds warmth and it protects the quilt from wind, rain or dust.

All the best Sweetspot!

Bruciehi5
    Very good info here. (Sorry for not checking back for so long. Very bad manners on my part.)

I went on an overnight to test some new gear with a friend in December in the snow. I had the Mt. WA 3, my daughters down blanket (thanks Eden), and some long johns, the overnight low on my thermometer read 18F. I never would have guessed that. I was very warm and had almost 7.5hrs of solid sleep. Best night in the woods. Well, then there was the trip after that...then the one after that...then the next one...oh, and today too.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Yeah, I’ve often be nice and warm in my hammock and thought, It’s not that cold. But I change my mind a few minutes after I get out of my hammock. It’s good to hear you are out enjoying your quilt!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Yeah, I’ve often be nice and warm in my hammock and thought, It’s not that cold. But I change my mind a few minutes after I get out of my hammock. It’s good to hear you are out enjoying your quilt!
    You have a solution to that chilly morning problem.... Just slip the Sniveler series TQs you have over your head and enjoy your coffee until time to pack up.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and DIY
    Insulation
    Mt WA 3, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Bruciehi5. I'm gonna enjoy it again this weekend

Images
    I'm with you on the JRB MWs, Sweetspot. I have a 4 and 3 convertible. Both are most excellent. It is also most excellent how well they work on the JRB bridge hammock. Just attach at the supplied attachment points, and that is the end of adjustment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast