Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images

Anybody use this?

Anybody use this stuff? Curious if it's worth treating a new silnylon tarp with it after seam sealing? I was planning on spraying my pack down with it but was thinking Silnylon Tarp Silicone spray What do you guys think.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    When I first got my Speer Winter Tarp I couldn't tell that it had been seam sealed, but the website stated that it came already sealed. I contacted Ed Speer and he told me that they use spray-on silicone to seam seal the tarp. He told me that I could buy the spray silicone sealer in Walmart's camping dept to reseal the tarp every couple of years.

It looks like the stuff you have pictured is probably what Ed was talking about.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Yep, Thanks for the info exactly what I was looking for. Guess I can just use this stuff intead of mixing up some seam sealer when I get my new tarp. If Ed uses it on his tarps I don't imaigine I would have any problems with leaks.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I've had no problems with my SWT leaking.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I've used that on a couple stuff sacks and a bishop bag, works as far as I can tell, make sure you get lots of fresh air...
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Images
    i just got some recently too, haven't had time to test it. sure seems easier than a brush though.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I have used this but only on untreated non-ripstop nylon (what did I know a few years ago?!). For untreated it worked okay. It made water bead up but did not make the fabric water proof although it came close on the heavier weight nylon. But I suspect the density of the weave had more to do with it.

I second the "have plenty of fresh air" sentiment. Spray outside if at all possible.

Images
    it seems like it's a really dilute solution of sil, which it would have to be to work as a spray. from the little i've done with trying to waterproof untreated fabric, the thinner solutions need more coats of the mix to get enough sil on the fabric to make it waterproof.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's good to know that silicone can be thinned down enough to be sprayed in aerosol form. I had planned on spraying silicone with an airbrush to seam seal a tarp and I wasn't sure it would work. I guess it would be easier to go and buy a can of that stuff, but where's the fun in that.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Might also think about wearing a mask and some eye protection. I hate to even think about breathing in that stuff... silicone coated lungs!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast