After my success with my first tarp - and understand, this was my first 'real' sewing project - I've been considering making another one.
I like the overall design, but I just didn't feel that the first tarp was the best work I was capable of. I also wanted to try it again, now that I know the general fabrication scheme, to see how long it would take me. Fanatic Fringer gave me the impetus I needed when he requested one...
So I started working on it yesterday afternoon. It's been an off-and-on job, but I think the total time will be around 12-13 hours. That's pretty good, considering the first one took most of three days. Of course, I had to come up with cat curve measurements, make a pattern, and for the most part learn how to sew that time, too
I'm not QUITE finished - still have to add tie-out loops and seam seal it. But the bulk of the work is done.
Another interesting turn is that Fringer requested MacCat-style grosgrain trim on this one. I didn't want to mess with it before and it seemed like extra weight, but now that I've added it to his, I'm pretty impressed by the 'sturdiness feel' of it. I haven't pitched the tarp yet (no tie-outs), so I'll have to wait and see how the trim affects the cat characteristics.
All in all, I impressed myself. This thing came out looking NICE. I took my time with the aesthetics this time, as opposed to before when I was just struggling to get it done. I really had no idea I could make something look this nice. Go me
Anyway. I should be finished Sunday or Monday. I posted a couple of corner detail pics for anyone who's interested.