ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Integral Designs
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger Straps

My First Solo Overnight Hike/ Hammock

I decided it was time that i started going off on my own hikes when noone else was around. I figured it was best to stick to a place I know fairly well, So i headed to Mt. Greylock. I did end up hiking up some trails I've never been on before.

The trail was severly over grown with 5 foot ferns and pricker bushes. It slowed me down a lot, I ended up hiking about a mile and a half in the dark. Like couldn't see my hand in front of my face dark. Luckily I had my trusty headlamp, backup headlamp, a flash light. Night hiking isn't nearly as bad as I though it would be.

While in camp I attempted to start a fire. Someone took the lighter out of my first aid kit without me knowing. So i had to resort to matches. I had 20 strike anywhere matches, not one of them struck anywhere, not even on the box. Luckily i had grabed some extra matches out of my night stand "just in case". There was about 6 matches in the box. Everything was wet. I had some little wax ball firestarters i wanted to try. Worst fire starters ever. Maybe it was cause it was wet. I ended up using toilet paper and hand sanitizer and finally got a fire going. With three matches left. Used one to light my stove, put some water on for my Pasta Primavera. Which was surprisingly very good.

I then began to set up my hammock, tent shelter in the dark for the very first time. I know I should have practiced setting it up before I left. It was an impulse trip, I didn't expect to set it up in the dark. It went pretty well, except one of the straps slid down in the middle of the night a little bit. I didn't even wake up. I did get a little cold on my backside. I'm guessing its cause the down in my bag was compressed. Not the best set up, but it worked. Will have to try it again with some bottom insulation and or in warmer weather(dropped into high 40's).

In the morning I packed up and headed towards March Cataract Falls to see what it was like with all the rain we've had lately.

After that, I headed towards the top I took more trails I haven't been on before. Went light my stove, struck the match, it burned out and didn't light my stove some how. Down to one match. Luckily it lit my stove and I could eat before hiking 8 miles down the mountain. So I ate, read for a while. Made my way down, stopped to snack on some pretzels filled with peanut butter at Jones Nose.

It was either I go back the way I came(Northup Trail) or take this other trail(Woodsman trail). In hopes that it would be better than the trip up. Well it wasn't. It was even more over grown, alternated between ferns, pricker bushes, more mushrooms than I've ever seen in my life.

Overall it was a great trip with some minor set backs(like those **** pricker bushes). I'll be going out solo again. Only bad things about going solo I can think of is less people carrying matches, no one to walk in front of me to catch all the spider webs to the face so I don't. haha

Here's some pictures!

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Integral Designs
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger Straps
    Oh, I have a question as well. One of my straps got sap all over it. Any tips for getting rid of that? Or should i just leave it as is?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    cool trip. Bet you check your lighter before you go next time. ;-)

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    And it's the adversity that helps to make even more memorable. Glad to hear you had a good time on your first solo outing.

Always double check fire sources before leaving, sucks getting out there with no way to make fire aside from rubbing two sticks together.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    I enjoyed a warm chuckle reading your post. Seems everything I do no matter how successful it may be has an element of disaster built squarely within.

Good post.

Sv

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard Aube. I've already planned my first solo for whenever it cools enough to get out around here. The only thing missing from your trip was me, I got the lighter.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Goo Gone, turpentine, margarine (and then soap to clean off the margarine), have all been mentioned in other threads as effective to remove tree sap.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    tree sap.

if you cook with alcohol or drink with it, you're in luck. it'll remove the tree sap easily.

grey goose and tree sap - now that's an idea...

sv-

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Integral Designs
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    tree sap.

if you cook with alcohol or drink with it, you're in luck. it'll remove the tree sap easily.

grey goose and tree sap - now that's an idea...

sv-
    That's alcohol abuse. Unacceptable. I'll have to try something else.

Thanks for the support guys.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    good trip report!

Denatured Alcohol will take out that tree sap.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast