WBBB , DIY double
    Tarp
    Catcut /doors, OE
    Insulation
    Tewa 3/4, WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle&web
    As Bradley said,
    a hammock along with at least one tent on "the pad" has been no problem at BC provincial campsites X2, Scout jamboree, native campsites and forestry campsites this summer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeeater908 View Post
    I am having a group hang at Sloppy Floyd State Park in NW Georgia on October 8th, I just went and talked to the head ranger at the park and he was real excited about the idea. It should be a fun hang, I hope.
    Good to know, wish I was going to be in town,its so close to home! There are so many of us that have discovered hammocks in the past year but we still have questions about different ways to set up tarps etc.

Have fun!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WingNut View Post
    As Bradley said,
    a hammock along with at least one tent on "the pad" has been no problem at BC provincial campsites X2, Scout jamboree, native campsites and forestry campsites this summer.
    I am thinking that is where he got the "rule" The hammock was not "ON THE PAD" It was hanging "above the pad!" LOL
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It just comes down to interpretation of "damage to trees" most of the time.
    If a park ranger sees your suspension as damaging... thats it.
    Challenging them is likely to get you nowhere.

...This is what I dont like about hammocks.
    My camping is always done by bicycle, so im not really going to be bringing a "backup tent" with me, and by the time I stop for the night at a state park, I am in no position to go somewhere else if the Ranger isnt into hammocks. I usually dont set it up until dusk... Never mind the fact that not every site in a State Park campground has appropriate trees in the first place. Its a bummer.

If this ever happens, I will have to use a tarp only...

That being said, I have done 4 State park hangs in NY / NJ and had no problems.
    Last edited by Jakerock; 09-12-2011 at 08:56.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerock View Post
    It just comes down to interpretation of "damage to trees" most of the time.
    If a park ranger sees your suspension as damaging... thats it.
    Challenging them is likely to get you nowhere.

...This is what I dont like about hammocks.
    My camping is always done by bicycle, so im not really going to be bringing a "backup tent" with me, and by the time I stop for the night at a state park, I am in no position to go somewhere else if the Ranger isnt into hammocks. I usually dont set it up until dusk... Never mind the fact that not every site in a State Park campground has appropriate trees in the first place. Its a bummer.

If this ever happens, I will have to use a tarp only...

That being said, I have done 4 State park hangs in NY / NJ and had no problems.
    One of the thicker air mats like the Exped or Big Agnes would shine in a case like that if you were willing to carry one.
    I like sleeping on a softly inflated air mat in my hammock anyway.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    Good to know, wish I was going to be in town,its so close to home! There are so many of us that have discovered hammocks in the past year but we still have questions about different ways to set up tarps etc.

Have fun!
    I know it's a long ride for you but we'd be glad to have you join us the weekend of Sept 23-25.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28515
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    when i was looking into parks i wanted to go right to the person and talk with them, to see. one or two people hanging can be forgiven a little easier than 20. so i would walk in with my eno setup and the warbird in the car, along with tarp. i asked, and also offered to demo the hammock, my logic being i could both show whomever made the decision it was very low impact, and maybe get them into one and get a convert /extol the virtues of our way of life.

and ive always explained it as a floating tent. we have rain flys and bug nets just like the tent stuff. even use tent stakes at times. were just MUCH more comfortable.

in the end, it didnt come down to that. they were more concerned we wouldnt be able to find an appropriate space since most parks thin the trees pretty good, and they dont just want you off in the woods where they cant have someone stop in if needed.

those that will meet me will notice im "modified" with tattoos, piercings, even implants in my face. i learned a long time ago its better to educate people politely than leave questions unanswered, and i do this with almost everything i do. im all for more parks knowing about what it is we do and how we do it, so we have access more places.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A state park here in Alabama allows hammocks to be hung and used for lounging during the day but you are not allowed to sleep in them. They are not considered a "camping unit" whatever that is. They also do not allow bivies, under the stars or tarps for the same reason.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    As mentioned before, this has been brought up concerning Florida state parks. But, this is a first coming from a Georgia state park. I have been tent camping on GA state parks for 20 years and always set a hammock up (next to the tent) and have never even been questioned.

I know that Unicoi and Amicalola are "special parks". If you try to reserve a site through the state park telephone service, these two parks are farmed out to a separate reservation service / private company. I wonder if this could be the difference.

Over Labor Day weekend, with all of the state parks that I looked into being full, I tried Lake Rabun Beach NP campground. The family and I were pleasantly surprised at the location. It would be a good place to have a GA hang in the future, plenty of trees and some of the sites are fairly separate from their neighboring sites.

STinGa
    Last edited by STinGa; 09-12-2011 at 14:09. Reason: Adding info
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!