Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Hammock Arrived-Need help

Hey guys I finally got my Claytor Jungle Hammock. 14 days from taiwan, plus one because the mailman didn't knock when it didn't fit in the mailbox(apartment)

I have read all over this forum trying to figure out what I am doing wrong (first hammock)

I have it set up in my house between 2 huge structual support poles (painted metal, no slippage) When I first set it up I could not lay flat the feet and head of the hammock bunched in the middle. I then took it to the park and set it up between 2 trees where the webbing was hardly long enough. I then was able to lay flat- the sides of the hammock came up over my sides. So I went to the store and got 2 rings, 4 biners, and 100 ft cammo cord (100 lb test).

My question is how do I set up the claytor for a experience identical to what I had at the park? Does the greater width of the tree somehow spread out the hammock? Are there links anyone can give as to how to set up the claytor properly? I quite enjoyed the experience at the park where I was able to lay flat.

Well no help here just got my Claytor too.

Been in mine once or twice but no over nighter yet.
    I will be watching this thread to learn so good luck.

Oh yea congrats on the new hammock.

Fred

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I don't have one however do not use 100 pound test rope unless you are using it for your tarp. It will break. Other than that it probably has to do with the amount of sag you put into each set up as to why you couldn't lay flat the first time. Anyhow don't use that rope.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

rope

Sorry I can't comment on the Claytor; can't visualize what you mean by bunching of the head foot ends. There's a regular Claytor cult here though, and I'm sure you'll get recommendations from them.

I'm just echoing Dutch's admonition on the rope. 100 lbs test is not safe. Since you're new to this business you don't know that the tensile force on the rope is more than your body weight....it's physics....Smee of JRB fame put up a diagram on what the tensile force is as a function of your body weight and angle of the rope.

Snoop around the forums some more and you'll see that the cords we're using test to well over 1000 lbs.

I'll make way now for the Claytor cult who I hope can give you pointers on your hang.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    First, I agree with everyone above, 100 lb line is too weak for tarp supports. I use one inch wide webbing for my supports, I think the breaking strength is about 600 lbs, for my Claytor Expendition hammock.

As to laying flat, it's mostly a matter of making sure the trees are far enough apart. It sounds like for your first test, the supports in your house were too close. When I set up, I need about 11 ft for the tarp, so the hammock, at 8 ft long, always fits. Your hammock is longer, so you need more space between supports than I. I tighten things a lot, then sit in the hammock and get the lines, etc. all stretched out, then readjust the hammock supports. Usually, this lasts for the rest of the night.

Images
    I haven't had the problens you describe with my Claytor, but I've always wondered if tying it to four seprate trees a few feet apart would work.

I feel most comfortable with a tighter hang in the claytor than what most people seem to like. I usually sleep on my side with my knes slightly bent, but when I do want to be flat I angle my body and that seems to work.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Rope

Just checked the rope. It is 3/8 Camo rope, and it is constructed like clibming rope. It has the outer sheath, white fuzzy stuff inside of that and a smaller rope inside of the white stuff. It actually says "Working Load Limit 244 lbs"

Also on the rope subject a store close to my house has some cammo rope, he wants 39 cents/foot for it. The owner of the store says it is rated to 800 lbs tensile strength, but someone removed the label from his spool. Should I purchase this other rope instead? If so how many feet of rope do most of you need on average? Hammock itself is 9feet 9inches long. Stock straps are 12ft long each.

I am still at a loss for how exactly I should be hanging the hammock, and what determines how flat I lay?

244lbs is still too little for securing the hammock. Maybe the tarp it'll be enough but I'll let others chime in on that. Good luck with the Claytor. I'm going on day 14 so hopefully I'll get mine soon.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Tensile Stength or working load?

When I noticed several of your posts about the rope I read someone said tensile strength. Aren't the working load limit and the tensile strength completely different? The tensile strength is rated at 1000 lbs on the rope I bought. It is 3/8 inch.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledgeengine View Post
    When I noticed several of your posts about the rope I read someone said tensile strength. Aren't the working load limit and the tensile strength completely different? The tensile strength is rated at 1000 lbs on the rope I bought. It is 3/8 inch.
    Good point. I used the term tensile strength because it came off of Smee's force chart, but I mis-used the term. See here.

Working load limit is a fraction of tensile strength, and it is working load limit that we're talking about here. 1000 lbs tensile strength is ballpark what we talk about here. I snapped a cord though rated at 1200 tensile strength, I'm using 2000 lbs now.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 04-11-2008 at 13:51. Reason: corrected snapped line tensile strength. It was 2.8mm Spyderline

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast