DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    the few times i found myself taking down a tarp in really windy conditions, i was glad i had the snake skins.

i took one corner loose from it's stake & secured the guy line in a bundle. then took the other corner on the same end loose & secured that guy line & immediately slide the snake skin on that end as far as it would go, then did the same at the other end.

you have a limited amount of tarp loose at a time that way.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I used to do a lot of windsurfing back in the day .... so messing with gear in the wind shouldn't have to be a problem, there's just got to be a technique to it and having those long lines bundled with a rubber band just wasn't working! ..... but something will! and practicing in the wind is a good way to find problems with your kit, and I found problems! .....
    Like Slowhike, I find Snake Skins make things a whole bunch easier for me, or at least it seems to. Also, as I undo the line at each stake, I form it into a coil, something like this:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/coiling...matedknots.com

But often I don't bother, at least not with all of the lines. I first undo left and right on one end, which gives me just one end flopping in the wind- but both ends are still attached to the trees ( or to the HH suspension with the stock tarp). And I don't let go of the tarp- at least not the windward side- so wild flapping is pretty well controlled. Then I roll that one end up ( windward side of either head end or foot end) throwing the line up in on that side as I roll it up. The line is rolled up in the tarp. Then I grab the side away from me and the wind and start rolling it's line up in the tarp, as I now finish rolling both sides up together. ( hard to describe) Then, I pull a snake skin partially over that end which stabilizes it, even in high winds. Repeat on the other end, finally covering the entire tarp in the Snake Skins. That sounds like a lot of steps but it takes less than a minute or so, even in high winds, if I don't coil the lines. Add a minute or 2 if coiling the lines. Works for me.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, both ends of the ridge line remain attached while i un-do one end at a time & pull the snake skin over it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345